ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do you know

Lookin to buy a mk2 clio.
so much stuff about engines? From what I've read you seem to be mechanics or are you just very enthusiastic? I want to learn about engines etc, how would you reccomend I go about that?

BMW M3
Just read stuff on here quite alot.

Two years ago i knew nothing... since owning my clio ive learnt a fair bit.

Now ive change cat, exhaust, air filter, suspension, disk and pads, fitted spoiler, changed engine oil, gear box oil, dog bone mount. etc.... just sort of get stuck in and you figure it out lol

Although do you mean engines specifically ? How they work ?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Become a member on here, learn more and more, make loads of mistakes and learn who you can and can't trust for advice etc. In short, it takes time to learn.

Cheers, Rob669

Breaking A 172 Replica
Yeah as the others have said.

I know so much more about cars now then when I first joined this site

Just ask questions and be observant.

Sam

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
It all comes with experience.Get out and have a go yourself.I come from the Mk2 XR2,Mk2 Astra GTE,XR3i days and we were always changing something or upgrading/modifying parts as garage prices were ridiculous back then.Its always more satisfying knowing you did the job yourself(until your exhaust comes off at 110mph on the A1 because you forgot to put a rubber back on).110mph back then was really flying...:eek:

Black Clio GT
i started by reading a haynes manual for my mums fiesta when i was 16 then when i got my 1st car attempted little jobs/maintainence and worked my way up to complete engine swaps!!

you do make some mistakes to start off which cost you more money to sort out but its all in the name of fun ;-)

it takes time and also helps to have a bit of practical skills/knowlegeable friends and forums like this!!

Last edited:
  Lookin to buy a mk2 clio.
Ah well I can do a full service on my mountain bike and I learnt to maintain that and change parts. Alot of the tools I needed were realy specialized, like some companys had different caps on the brake resivoirs so you needed a specific tool to remove it. is it much like that iwth cars or is it all done with basic bolts? Also with newer cars and the ecu's and microchips is there much you can play about with by yourself?

Volvo S60 T5
Been in the motor trade since I left school, so you could say I know a fair bit.
I'm amazed on here everyone seems to remember figures/dimensions and so on, maybe I'm getting old and my memory is poor I tend to have to look them up.
Its said in the motor trade that you could have all the qualifications in the world and still not have a clue how to fix a car, it all comes with hands on practical work and experience.
Things are changing slowly, more and more electrics fitted to cars so it helps to have a very good understanding of vehicle electrics.