ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how does a remap improve mpg?

Roadster Coupe
Im looking at remapping my mk4 golf gt tdi, i heard remapping improves the mpg. how does it? i thought after a remap there is more fuel being injected into the engine so the mpg would go down not up. any1 knows why?

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Im looking at remapping my mk4 golf gt tdi, i heard remapping improves the mpg. how does it? i thought after a remap there is more fuel being injected into the engine so the mpg would go down not up. any1 knows why?

ive got a mk 4 gttdi 130 got it remapped 2 180.. wen u fill it rite up it will take 120 miles 2 drop off the full mark on the guage

best £250 ive spent mate

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Because cars are released to use a wide range of fuels, in other contries the fuel is rubbish, but in the uk it's very good, so remapt makes better use of the fuels potential, or something like that.

Roadster Coupe
oh right. i got the same car as u gazmar1, wot does the car feel like now its been remapped? how much quicker is it compared to normal?

Mercedes SLK350
With a re-map more torque is released aswell as power.

High revs uses more fuel.

Torque is achieved at low revs. So more torque to push the car along means you don't need to rev so high, thus using less fuel.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

A4 Avant
I don't know about around town, but my remap and decat have given me more mpg on the motorway. Best I ever got out of my standard trophy was around 35mpg at 70/75. I get 40mpg out of the 172 now!

Meg on pistonheads £6995
basically it 'optimises' all settings

a factory car is 'DELIBERATELY' detuned to account for crap fuel and poor servicing

essentially it releases that hidden potential and the economy comes from the ability to drive it in a higher gear due to more low down torque and smoother pick-up

I've had 2 cars re-mapped and both are now BRILLIANT

Clio dCi 80 to 110bhp - economy up 53 to 60mpg and flies!

Xsara HDi 110 to 140bhp and enough torque to virtually rip the tarmac off the road - economy 45 to 50mpg and REALLY flies!

Its all to do with efficiency of the burn. So if you remap a car to run on superunleaded the car will need to burn less fuel to make the same power.

That said not all remaps will improve MPG lol.

ph quick
I drove to town recently and managed 58mpg, can average about 36 with a bit of cruising but still reving it to 6500 every now and then

58mpg in a renaultsport?

You on crack lol. Average 36 yes as i achieve that but 58 never lol. I've managed to sustain 44.2 by going 60-70miles as 63mph on the motorway using cruise as i was low LOW on fuel.

ph quick
I did feather it at 40 all the way, but wanted to see what was possible and i was very low on fuel, needed to get to tesco's for a cheap fill ;)

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Nice never knew all that. How much does a remap cost FOR A 172? How many more bhp will i be getting?

You only get big gains with Turbos.

Your looking around £250 - £350, but you only get around 5bhp top end and around 12bhp mid-range for a 172.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
so not worth it?

Well it does smooth out the power delivery and the car will pick up better at lower revs.

Most push the rev limiter up (Not always a good thing)

It's up to you really, but I personally wouldn't bother unless the cars got a turbo.

Paul from RS-Tuning, is the man to speak to if you are interested though.

Roadster Coupe
Thats good then. yeh only worth it if ur car has got a turbo (like mine! lol) im having my golf remapped from 130 bhp to 185 bhp and it will have over 300 lbft of torque.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
When they rate cars for their fuel consumption (and CO2 emissions) they use the car's power. If its got more power it has to accelerate harder through the standard test and use that power. Because that's how people really drive. If they've got more power, whether that's because its the more powerful version of the model or because its been warmed up, they use it. And you will too. So whatever people tell you here about rechipping or anything else improving fuel economy, forget it. You won't see that. When you've got more power under your right foot you use it.

Meg on pistonheads £6995
^ ^ RUBBISH - a tuned petrol would use more fuel cos power top-end, but I'd say 99% of diesel turbo re-maps give MASSIVE improvement in economy!

My car does EXACTLY the same 60 mile commute 5 days a week and is almost never used anywhere else

I'd say I drive it faster than pre-map and the economy jumped 53 to 60 overnight having settled at 53 for about 12 months before re-map.

It's on 66 at the mo and I still crack a ton most days on one stretch of carriageway :)

t3 corolla 116bhp
totally agree

the torque range is improved at the lower rev range resulting in greater torque output. the net effect is that you get a greater response when you depress the accelerator and since this is diretctly related to your fuel consumption............ it makes sense doesnt it?

;)

Torque is achieved at low revs. So more torque to push the car along means you don't need to rev so high, thus using less fuel.

Mercedes SLK350
totally agree

the torque range is improved at the lower rev range resulting in greater torque output. the net effect is that you get a greater response when you depress the accelerator and since this is diretctly related to your fuel consumption............ it makes sense doesnt it?

;)

Makes sense to me. :)