ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to use clay...

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I bet its been asked before but i tried a search and didnt find anything...

Basically i'm going to clay my car tomos so after some advice. Here's how i do it right...

Clean the car

Clay the car keeping it moist with quick detailer

Wash it off

Polish + Wax

Now how do i use the clay? Do you push hard on the paint or just rub lightly etc?

106 GTi
If using quick deatiler to clay with.

Wash the car, dry.

Warm the clay up so it is soft, normally a good idea to split the bar into 3. Roll the clay into a ball them squash flat. Spray the QD onto the panel, ****use plenty**** lightly rub the clay across the lubricated area. Keep kneading the caly so you always using a clean face. Wipe down the panel with a towel, and move onto the next area.

Main things are plenty of spray dont let the clay stick or use on a dry panel, don't use the clay if it gets really dirt or is not soft, dont use lots of pressure.

Polish and seal.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the advice!

So basically keep it quite wet, keep the clay clean and rub lightly. Then just towel it off yeah? :)

106 GTi
Yeah after doing a panel, spray on some more QD and wipe clean.

I tend to clay after washing with the car still wet and use a clay lube made of car shampoo and water which also works well and is a bit safer on the paint IMO. But means you need to re-wash after.

They key is plenty of lubrication and make sure the caly is soft and clean to prevent paint damage.

Focus RS, 182 gone
Why is Rich always answering these car detailing questions lol, are you cheif valeter at joe soaps carwash or something??

106 GTi
azzer2000 said:
Why is Rich always answering these car detailing questions lol, are you cheif valeter at joe soaps carwash or something??

Ummm I dont know why!

No I work at a design agency.

Maz

LY 200
azzer2000 said:

Rich is The Clean Car King :approve:

106 GTi
Maz said:
Rich doesn't plug anything, he just helps people out cause hes a cleaning geek :eek:

;)

Cheers Maz, Yeah I just have mild OCD when it comes to cleaning cars.

al

ST on the way...
I wouldn't dry i'd go straight on with some QD to clay with, then dry after claying (or whatevers left) saves wahing it again.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Al provides personal training sessions on the use of clay if your interested.

Ghost_pottery_wheel.gif

al

ST on the way...
KDF said:
8.00 on the dot.. and remember and wear that thong I bought you ;)

8?!?! :eek: Your gonna clash............hmm............8 is fine ;)

Mmmmm......microfibre thong :D

106 GTi
al said:
I wouldn't dry i'd go straight on with some QD to clay with, then dry after claying (or whatevers left) saves wahing it again.

There is a problem here though:

Not drying the car before using claying with Quick Detailer, means the excess water on the car *may* water down the QD too much and *may* reduce the slickness of the lube. I would suggest claying with the car soap and water mix rather than QD in this situation.

Loony - I know you do!

Maz - Others have issues with my OCD, if only everyone saw it like that!

Al and KDF, get a room! ;)