ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

If you could take ONE lens to New York...

What would it be? I did the whole tourist thing last year and got pretty much every standard shot I was after (most with my Sigma 10-20) at a level of quality I was more than happy with, so this year I'm putting my Christmas money towards one lens to take to NYC with me in February, everything else is staying at home.

Any thoughts? I would probably even go one step further and say it has to be a prime, as that would force me to be even more creative. Budget is £500, but I would consider two lens at £250 each and use them on alternate days.

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
i'd say the 17-55 f2.8 having bought it, very good all round lens!

i've got a spare 17-85 IS going cheap if anyone is interested, thought f**k it today and bought the 50d kit (can't get the body so had to buy kit but the kit was cheaper than what most people are selling the body for, just need to offload the kit lens now having bought the 17-55!!)

Wait too see the quality of the Nikon 50mm AF-S. Its looking like it could be a super sharp bit of kit. The price may be fairly high when it first comes out though.

take your 50mm and a lensbaby / lomo camera

I absolutely love lo-fi Lomo photos, and they work so well with New York, it does seem to have been done to death though, Lomo+New York is everywhere. However the other half has been considering getting me a Holga for quite some time now, so if I do get one I would give that to her to shoot NYC whilst I use my camera.

30mm 1.4 or the new 50mm 1.4 is looking good at the moment.

Why do you want to limit yourself? To force you to be more crative?

Yup, that's the idea. Although I only took 10-20 & 50 last time, I got everything I wanted. And I know if I take the same again I will end up doing the tourist shots again to see if I can improve, would rather do something different though.

I have had a changed of mind about my lenses and am waiting to get the 50mm AF-S now. I loved the Siggy 30mm but always enjoyed the reach of my old 50mm non AF-S. Its just a case of waiting now... hope it gets released on time!

14' Leon Cupra 280
I'd spend the money on a helicopter flight and another night or 2 in the hotel, and just be more creative with composition and subjects with your current equipment :)

Rally bus
Yup, that's the idea. Although I only took 10-20 & 50 last time, I got everything I wanted. And I know if I take the same again I will end up doing the tourist shots again to see if I can improve, would rather do something different though.

Think of some themes before you go and stick to them rather than going for the tourist shots.

I'd have thought limiting yourself to one prime lens would stifle creativity rather than encourage it eg taking a 50mm you might get a standard tourist shot, take an 18-200 and you can zoom in on details that the tourists miss.