ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It took 12 years but ive done it !

LincsClio

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio 182
Ive Finally done it.
After 12 years of procrastination i finally bought another 182, picked up a 2005 BG Clio 182.
Stalked the site for around about the same length of time on and off aswell !

Cars in great mechanical nick but needs a bit of love externally.
Previous owner has done all the costly bits, Gearbox and driveshaft, headers, cambelt etc.
It has john ashley exhaust and i believe a remap but im contemplating toning these down as its a bit loud for my liking !
Exterior is where most of my work needs to happen, has a good number of supermarket scratches and is showing a few signs of its age.

My options really moving forward is to make it into a two seater weekend & track car or try and get it back to OEM and as smart as possible. This i havent decided yet :) !

Only have two faults currently which im needing advice. First being an easy one, the gear stick seems to be bondo stuck onto the end which i assume isnt standard, anyone know a way of getting the gunk build up off (pictured).
Second more pressing one is my N/S front has some form of oil leak coming from looks to be the centre of the rim. My intial thought being the shock as i have had something similar in the past on a different vehicle. Any thoughts or advice? Assuming if its shock will probably be wise to change both.

Looking forward to the ownership and clio lifestyle once again !

Cheers,
Alex

PXL_20220227_112014135.jpg

PXL_20220227_111806943.jpg

PXL_20220227_170005843.jpg

PXL_20220227_170011014.jpg

PXL_20220227_170051801.jpg

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think I've seen any 1*2's locally, I'm right at the south of Lincs though, toward Grantham. Hopefully spot you about! Sorry I'm no help with your mechanical issues.

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
I’m glad your tinkering already, that thick glue is going to have to be chipped off with a sharp small electrical flat head screw driver or alike, normally with glues I try using alcohol or nail polish remover to remove residue but that looks nasty I can’t see that budging with solvents. Beware if you sand it and wear away the metal a new gear knob might not grip and then your back to glue again.

in terms of an oil leak trace you will need to wash engine bay first to trace it as oil travels all over the place if the leak is high up.

LincsClio

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio 182
I’m glad your tinkering already, that thick glue is going to have to be chipped off with a sharp small electrical flat head screw driver or alike, normally with glues I try using alcohol or nail polish remover to remove residue but that looks nasty I can’t see that budging with solvents. Beware if you sand it and wear away the metal a new gear knob might not grip and then your back to glue again.

in terms of an oil leak trace you will need to wash engine bay first to trace it as oil travels all over the place if the leak is high up.
I will get busy with a screwdriver and hammer ! as you said worst case scenario a new gear knob is getting bonded on

LincsClio

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio 182
Is that definitely oil and not some over zealous use of tyre shine?
Quite possibly now youve said that. The gent i picked it up from gave it a full clean and went to town with tyre shine. I will give it a clean down then a run out see if it comes back

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
Oh the wheel picture is the oil? Yes I agree that’s auto smart tyre shine painted on with a brush by the looks of it

LincsClio

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio 182
Awesome will give it a wash of tonight and hopefully wont see it re appear !

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Definitely looks like over use of the shine, nothing to worry about just wipe off and see if it returns for now