ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iTunes + external HDD = slooow

I'm hoping the Apple gurus can help.

Got a laptop (core duo 2, 3gb ram, 2.2ghz), with 25gb of music on the internal HDD, all works well.

I also have an external HDD (Hitachi xl1000, 7200 spin), with 155gb of movies. I've dragged the content from the external HDD into iTunes (which took 20mins, this only copied the shortcuts, not the files to my laptop), and all works ok.

The problem is, if I close and reopen iTunes now (with the HDD attached for movies), it takes 5mins to open. If I boot iTunes without the HDD attached it opens within 10 seconds (missing the movie files). Connected using USB.

I can't understand why iTunes takes so long to open, due to the external HDD with movies on.

The ball ache is it does the same for ATV (will a NAS solve this?)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Dont close itunes. Problem solved.

What dont you understand? iTunes is indexing a 155GB libary over a USB 2 connection. If you thought that would be rapid you are mistaken. And a NAS wont solve it because they changed the way itunes shares its library.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Exactly that.

When you shut iTunes down and restart it, it has to re-index your content over USB.

Ok, thanks for the info gents. The reason I have iTunes load all the movies, is for Apple TV.

I've decided (and hope I'm right) that I'll JB the ATV2 and add all my content to a NAS (temp will be external HDD on the laptop) for XBMC to play from. Means iTunes doesn't have run, and I have some hair left to comb over.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yup, that will solve it.

But be warned, XBMC for the apple TV is not a stable thing at all. Its like a beta.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I use a cheap windows box to run my itunes home sharing and use ATV in normal mode.

I only use XBMC for iplayer and TV catchup.

I use a cheap windows box to run my itunes home sharing and use ATV in normal mode.

I only use XBMC for iplayer and TV catchup.

You were right, I had nothing but problems with XBMC last night.

I've now upgraded to 4.3, and may do a tethered JB tonight and install XBMC again, as I liked the libary view, but can't see the different JB making any difference.

Quick Q; If I decided to run ATV in normal mode, would a Time Capsule act the same way as a NAS with XBMC? ie I wouldn't need a PC on, and all content would stream from the TC?

If it does, is a TC worth it, or would I be better spending the £350 on something else to run iTunes?

Go cry to your momma!
Get a Popcorn hour. I toyed with the ATV but the popcorn wipes the floor with it for streaming from my NAS.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You were right, I had nothing but problems with XBMC last night.

I've now upgraded to 4.3, and may do a tethered JB tonight and install XBMC again, as I liked the libary view, but can't see the different JB making any difference.

Quick Q; If I decided to run ATV in normal mode, would a Time Capsule act the same way as a NAS with XBMC? ie I wouldn't need a PC on, and all content would stream from the TC?

If it does, is a TC worth it, or would I be better spending the £350 on something else to run iTunes?

No, it used to. Then they moved to this STUPID home sharing setup which requires iTunes to be running all the time. Which is mega dumb.

No, it used to. Then they moved to this STUPID home sharing setup which requires iTunes to be running all the time. Which is mega dumb.
FFS. I'm becoming a real failure here. I'm beginning to sound like Danny133!

Hmmm. Think my only option will be to leave the Laptop on, with iTunes + HDD switched on.

Alternatively, I'll buy another cheap tower to act as a NAS/iTunes player and leave that on 24/7 (I could use LogMeIn on the iPhone to make changes / downloads)

What a ball ache!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Thats what i had to do. I have a s**t PC in a cupboard that only runs itunes.