ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just ordered a MBP...

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
First Mac I will ever have, is there anything I should do straight out the box(apart from plug it in)? Like how one would remove every useless program of a Windows powered machine?

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Haha Im fine with Macs, used them for three years at college. Exactly what I wanted to hear about not having to do anything with em!

Monaro VXR
Enjoy it.

I will however point out that others thinking of buying soon. If they can hold off for a few months, do so.

Intel released some proper details of their new CPU's 2 weeks ago, the same new CPU's that are going into the next MBP. Won't be long until they hit the market now. AMD also have new GPU's on the way and have started production on them from what I have heard. Again more than likely going into the next MBP unless they have a falling out with AMD any time soon.

Chances are we will hear something about the next gen MBP around February when the current model is 12 months old. Lot of places are speculating it will be an all new design. No idea on that, more interested in the new CPU and GPU. The CPU is supposed to be rather impressive in terms of performance compared to the current ones.

If you need a laptop now, buy now. If you can wait I think it would be worth waiting if you are more of a power user. If you just sit on the net with it. Anything will do.

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
First Mac I will ever have, is there anything I should do straight out the box(apart from plug it in)? Like how one would remove every useless program of a Windows powered machine?

If you're happy with OS X anyway, you'll already know how to set up the trackpad, gestures and hot corners the way you like...

Not sure what you mean about uninstalling windows programs !? There's not much on the machine when you get it. Certainly no sh*t that Dell/HP install filling the machine up with their shite...

Care to elaborate what you mean ?

Check out NeoOffice if you need word processing etc, it's much smaller/nicer than OpenOffice.

www.opensourcemac.org will sort you out easily with VLC, Adium, Neo, etc...

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Yeh that's what I mean, the shite/crap which is filled up when you purchase a Windows Laptop/Desktop.

Yeh VLC will be going straight onto it, in fact I already have it downloaded :)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Enjoy it.

I will however point out that others thinking of buying soon. If they can hold off for a few months, do so.

Thing is though, that's 5 months away, not like it's just waiting until next month or something.

As with everything, there's always something better due out. With the time period of 5 months though I'd just buy now, then sell up in 5 months time and buy whatever is released if it takes your fancy.

Luckily Macs retain value better than most laptops so whilst you will take a hit it won't be massive, and you'll have gotten 5 months use out of it too :)

All very well saying wait the 5/6 months, but what if you need it now? ;)

Monaro VXR
Did you notice the last sentence I wrote, I said if you need it now get one now. If you can wait, and need to extra grunt. Then it will be worth waiting. As some of the benchmarks around show the IvyBridge CPU's to be much much faster than the current SandyBridge.

IvyBridge was actually supposed to be out now, but it has been delayed.