ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lenses for Canon camera??

ITB BG 182
Ok is this a good lens to get with my camera as a first one?
Canon 70-200mm EF f4L USM

If not can some one point me in the right direction as i want some thing upto 600 quid max.

ITB BG 182
Im looking at buying a canon 50d new and also buying a lens with ok ish zoom but shooting in doors under very good lighting with face moving objects.
I thourght if i spent upto £600 on the body then upto £600 on the lens i should get a good starter kit and be able to learn alot without me learning all about it too fast, didnt want to get a 450d but to only sell it next year and buy a 50d anyway.

A red missile
There are better lenses yes but they cost ridiculous money, at that price point its bang on, fine piece of L glass.

One word of caution though, think very hard about the amount of use it'll get before you part with the readies, L series lenses are all well and good but if they're hardly going to see the light of day (groan) then I'd consider standard glass.

ITB BG 182
Also seen the canon 50d body only for £509 new so with whats spare ill buy the bag, spare battery, card and what not with what is left over.

ITB BG 182
There are better lenses yes but they cost ridiculous money, at that price point its bang on, fine piece of L glass.

One word of caution though, think very hard about the amount of use it'll get before you part with the readies, L series lenses are all well and good but if they're hardly going to see the light of day (groan) then I'd consider standard glass.
Lord it will be used like a prostitute on pay day.

dk

911 GTS Cab
50d with 70-200 f4.0L is an amazing combo, my best shots have come from this combo.

For the price that lens cannot be beaten, period. It is one of the best lenses available, a must for everyones collection. It is very fast to focus and pinpoint sharp every time.

ITB BG 182
Really good photo's DK.

See i know im asking alot of questions and making a few new threads each time but i am new to DSLR's considering this will be my first, i just want a good lens to go with a good camera and not be pissed off that i didnt do it in the first place when i could have got one not so good lense in a kit.

dk

911 GTS Cab
If it's your only lense then you will want to pick up a cheap 18-55 is kit lens to go with it as 70 is long for general use.

They do the 50d with a 17-85 I think, that's what mine came with but I've not used it as I have a 17-55 IS f2.8 which is also a very good lens.

ITB BG 182
think ill just look at getting Canon 70-200mm EF f4L USM with the canon first and then after crimbo look at getting a diff lense to go with it all.

Cupra
Spend a tiny bit extra and get the 18-55 too. They are around £50-60 and will enable you to use the camera a lot more.

The 70-200 is a great lens, but there is no way I'd use it as a my only lens on a crop camera. That said, if you are only going to be taking pictures of one subject and not use the camera for anything else, then you wont need the second lens. I just wouldn't like the limitation.

Fiesta ST3
have you looked at the 24-105L is, the 70-200 could get a bit heavy after a while where as the 24-105 is a good walk about lens?

Cupra
He said in a previous thread that he needs the 200mm, I used the 24-105 as a walkabout on my old 40D and it is a great lens though.

You can also pick up 2nd hand Canon 70-200 f2.8 for around the 600 mark. As you are shooting indoors, it may well be worth considering one.

ITB BG 182
ive been told that i will be getting a 18-55 lens with the camera when i buy it.
Can people who are mentioning other lenses please put links up to the shops on where to get them as a 70-200 f2.8 i have found alot of variations of these.

dk

911 GTS Cab
The 2.8 is good but it's a hell of a lot heavier, that's why I went for the f4, it's heavy enough as it is.

Dint think the 50d came with an 18-55 in a kit, is this new or second hand you are looking at, if it's new then the price sounds like it's body only to me.

As mentioned though, the kit lens can be had for small change.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Just get a prime and the zoom? Job Done.
I had an 18-55mm and use my prime as an everyday lens then use the zoom for other stuff

dk

911 GTS Cab
That's a 550d, you said you were going 50d, that's why the kit includes the 18-55, totally different camera dude.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Ah, cool, well in that case, you need nothing more as that lens which comes with the kit is actually a very good one and will compliment the 70-200 perfectly!