ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lighting

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Hello!

Im after making my images look a little more professional so I have been looking into off camera lighting.

I really have no idea about this, although my research is pointing me in this direction as you can use light in so many ways with cameras... After all you are effectively painting light.

Would just like a bit of a guide really of where to start with lighting, what brands and products to look into etc and also what effects can be achieved.

Would appreciate it if someone would take the time to explain to me or even show me there set ups if possible :)

Luke.

SB600 and a cheap wireless trigger from eBay. That's all I have. I don't really know what I'm doing but it rarely matters with what I'm doing for now. If it blows it out/causes stupid shadows, I just move it about/turn it down.

If you're feeling flush, SB900.

Then just practice.

Have a look on my blog, there's a couple of out-take shots from my Evo shot.

How much would you want to spend? I take it your after photos of cars mainly?

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
I miss my old cheap wireless flash set up.

vivtar 283 X2
vivitar 285
cheap hong kong wireless kit.

100quid spent

I then used a tripod one light stand and i made my second light stand from a mic stand and desk tripod.

Rim light i just used the lil' stand you get with flashes.

So long as you go with variable power flashes your on to a winner.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Shadowness said:
Have a look on my blog, there's a couple of out-take shots from my Evo shot.

How much would you want to spend? I take it your after photos of cars mainly?
No dan. Mainly after arty photos which require setting up and also portrait sort of shots. As well as the occasional car photo lol.

So basically a durable lighting set up. Budget isn't massive tbh. Suppose il spend what ever but needs to be good VFM. Don't even know what I'm buying :(

Thanks for every ones input. Gives me some things to look up

1.2 Dynamique billabong
when i was at uni i used bowens stuff which is great but i couldnt really justify the cost of them for at home instead i got one of these kits, and for studio based still life / portrait stuff it works just fine. although when i got mine the exchange rate was better so only cost £120

my kit was slightly different - it came with 2 x 180w heads, 2 x stands, 1 soft box, 1 x silver umbrella, 1 x white umbrella, 5 various sized reflectors and wireless triggers, all stored nicely in a bag.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/360W-Pro-Stud...graphy_StudioEquipment_RL?hash=item56341611f5

from the same shop i then bought a set of clamps and triggers enabling me to use two canon speedlights wirelessly on location.

The quality isnt obviously as good as the bowens but bowens lights can be over £1000, these are fine for learning the basics of different lighting setups and understanding things like inverse square law.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Thanks jim. How are the lights powered qhen your out and about? I have more Qs but I'm on phone

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Those strobes look brill for the money but I think you would personally benifit from vari-power flashes.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
^^ they are vari-power buddy :)

FLASH.jpg

When i am shooting on location i dont use those lights, i just use the stands which came with the studio kit. i already had 1x 420ez canon speedlight, so i just bought a 2nd one of ebay for £35. Then i bought some special clamps (which also allow you to use umbrellas) and triggers from the same place as the studio kit

flash2.jpg

flash1.jpg

As you can see its completely wireless, no battery packs etc so really quick to setup

hope that helps buddy

James

"Navy" N17 TWO
Dan it's

Contains:
  • Blazzeo™ Swift 180W Studio Flash Light x3
  • Blazzeo™ 200T Studio Light Stand x3
  • Blazzeo™ Quad Soft 60cm x 60cm Soft box x2
  • Blazzeo™ 33" (83cm) Translucent White Umbrella x2
  • Blazzeo™ Wireless Radio 16-Channel Trigger Unit (1x Transmitter + 1x Receiver)
  • Blazzeo™ Soft Studio Light Carry Case x1
  • Free Barn door + 4 color Gels x1
  • Free Local AC Power Adapter
  • Original Manufactory Package

Well I'm not an expert in lighting by any means, but I would say that 180W isn't a lot at all. Depends if you're going to be in a studio, or outside. If you're outside, you might find the lights aren't powerful enough, especially when lighting against the sun.

Also, if the kit only has one receiver, you'll only be able to trigger one flash UNLESS you're in a small(ish) space or somewhere dark where the flashes will fire if they detect a flash (assuming they have that feature).

How much is it, what's your budget?

"Navy" N17 TWO
It's £200.

I'd say about £300 tops - be used mainly indoors for family portraits, baby shots and the likes. Once I get used to it I may venture into product and using them outdoors

Cupra
The cheaper e-bay kits are okay for learning the ropes, but you can get problems with colour casts and most don't have active cooling, which means that they can overheat and break if you use them for any length of time.

I went second hand and picked up a great set for a bit of a steal. The other bonus is that you can always sell it on for pretty much what you picked it up for if you buy wisely.

Dans advise on the wattage is also a good one. Any work outdoors and you will need at least 400W to make a dent against the sun, and even then you can be limited depending on subjects/ necessary distance from flashes etc.

PlanetX does amazing work with Nikon flashes and some modifiers/ triggers, and proves that you don't always need complicated kit to get the shot.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Cheers for the advice :) not so much worried about using them outdoor so I'll have no worries about challenging the sun.

Only thing about that kit I thought was odd is that it has 2 translucent umbrella's and 2 soft boxes are the same size - would reflective umbrella's not be better and boxes of different sizes?
Suppose it's a minor thing, could always pick a Black/Silver one up for a few quid.

Main concern for me would be portable & easy to setup as I'd probably be using it in clients homes along with my backdrop

"Navy" N17 TWO
Do you really need 3 lights, if you're starting out?

Could look about getting more power in a 2-head kit instead, what you lot reccomend? :)

2.2 bar shed.
2 is plenty enough. Alien bee's are awsome, but probably out of your budget. I'd look at 2 cheap flashes, 2 radio controllers and 2 umbrellas for shoot through. Along with lightstands you should be able to get htat for 250 quid.