ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

long exposure shots

Ford Focus ST2
Hi guys,

As some of you may know i am new to all this digital photography, but last night i was messing around with my camera, and by mistake kind of learned how to take long exposure shots.

Here are my first 2. Firstly i know there not 100% but i was inside and taking the picture out of the windows (through the glass :dead:)

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

How do i take long exposure shots in the day? they just come out all white :eek:!

Rob

Nimbus 197
to get a longer exposure during the day you need a few things....

a HUGE f number (as high as your camera will go) F30+ tbh
two or three nd 8 filters

for the two shots above try retaking with tungsten white balance ;)

Nimbus 197
It's great when you first get into SLRs, SUCH A HUGE learning curve. I ain't an expert, but by hell I am learning, lol

Ford Focus ST2
i cant find tungsten white balance on my camera!

i got the the following settings

Incandescent
Fluorescent-|
1 - Sodium-Vapor Lamps
2 - Warm-white Fluorescent
3 - White Fluorescent
4 - Cool-White Fluorescent
5 - Day White Fluorescent
6 - Daylight Fluorescent
7 - High Temp Mercuty-Vaper
Direct Sunlight
Flash
Cloudy
Shaade
Choose Color Temp
Auto

Any ideas?

Rob

Nikon D700
try doing a custom WB, somewhere around 3500k-4000k that's where orange lights look a little more normal - or atleast that's what i've found.
I would have cranked up the aperture a little too, just to get more effect from the lights.

Ford Focus ST2
Ok had a good last night and the picture seams to be 100% better by just changing the WB!

Here it is :-

DSC_0492.jpg

Thanks for you help

Rob

Mk2 ph1 clio
I found something interesting while i was taking long exposures near the horrible orange street lights.

Take one shot with your white balance on "Auto WB" and then put it on "Custom"

I found that it gives you a more natural light, and gets rid of the orange glow without getting a blue tint to the images.

Nice shots though! ... whens your window cleaner due :rasp: