ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Long shutter speeds... Help and Advice

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Had a little play with lights and a long shutter speed. Need a bit of help from you guys to give me hints and tips to improve it really :)

4440951287_68eb5338d3_b.jpg

4441730870_a5a3b5e4a3_b.jpg

4440955357_4246658528_b.jpg

4441737348_a52524acda_b.jpg

4440960979_e1e3529183_b.jpg

4441743238_6c27658880_b.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

Jason.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
good effort mate, for the light graffiti images use manual focus and find a point to focus on (normally if its dark then a mate holding a torch is a good bet) then when you do you graffiti do it in the same place then you will get it nice a sharp. Also use a decent tripod with self time to try to reduce camera shake by as much as possible.

for the city & traffic scene try using a small aperture (high f number ie 22) then you get nice star burst effects on any street lights etc.

Its mainly just a case of experimenting and practise, you can really go wrong with shooting digital, just keep trying and delete what you dont want.
i have put up a few of mine hope you dont mind.

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

light3.jpg

4-19.jpg

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Very cool! And thanks for the advice :)

One thing I find difficult, is when I set a longer shutter it is often over exposed. I have fiddled with settings to counter act this though but It's difficult to get the balance right.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
you will probably find manual mode is best mate, that way you can set the shutter speed for as long as you want then adjust the aperture as required for the exposure, also shoot on as low an ISO as possible to reduce noise

Last edited:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Yeah, thats what I'm doing mate :) low ISO and long shutter seem's to make it work nicely!