ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking for a 197

2009 Fiesta Zetec S
Hi Guys,

I currently have a 2009 Fiesta Zetec S but i'm looking to PX it for a 197. Most of the models I have looked at have around 70-80k miles on the clock. Is there anything I need to be aware of (common faults etc) when looking for one?

Cheers

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
All 197's should have had a cambelt change by now, and it's a job that needs doing properly. I'd be wanting a receipt from a reputable garage to be sure its been done right.

Gearboxes can go bad and crunch, although mine was fine on >70k, it depends how they are treated. Gearboxes can be picked up for ok prices

The flexies on the exhaust can blow, if they do it's a manifold off job to fix, so not cheap.

Some have a bit of a flat spot about 2.5k but a few fixes for that - nothing major

If you look for one with the Recaro's in - they wear quite badly but again mine were fine on higher miles, its dependant on how it's been looked after.

The front hub setup is very similar to the Megane 225, and can suffer from similar issues with the balljoints. If it makes a screeching noise when turning the steering wheel at low speed it's probably them. Renault will only sell you the complete assembly at about £250 but there are places that can change just the balljoint for a much better price.

Other than that just the usual stuff you would look for on any car - Service history, overall condition, decent tyres (usually a good indicator on how it's been looked after).

Oh, last thing - they aren't the quickest of hot hatches, but they handle well. If you want straight line performance look elsewhere.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Get a 182.

Probably best to elaborate on that comment.

IMO It would feel like a big backwards step going from a 6 year old Fiesta to a 10+ year old Clio.

Value for money wise - 100% I'm with you. A 1*2 makes perfect sense, however not everyone wants to be seen in a 10+ year old French tin can.

Edit: that's not meant in a derogatory way, I'm a 1*2 fan, but sometimes you want something that feels newer etc, it's not just about ££

Last edited:

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
@Chrisgti6 has hit the nail on the head in both his posts.

He's pretty much covered what to look for (outside of "normal" checks)

And again, depends what you're after. Cheap quick thrills - 172/182. Or a more comfortable daily which still has a lot of potential - 197/200.

Sign up membership on here mate and get in the classified section. They pop up now and again.