ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook Charger Woes

Anyone else had one of the Magsafe chargers fail? My 13" Mac came with the 60w version, which failed after just days over a year old. I had to purchase another for nearly £60....and now, only months down the line its failed again.

Luckily ive got a few hours of charge so I can copy all my important stuff off to use on a different machine, but FFS, £60 for another charger again is just an absolute joke!

The charger is never pulled/tugged, just removed as you normally would when I take the laptop. Most of the time when its at home its on charge, so I dont see how its happening. Literally 30 mins ago the light just went out and refuses to work again!

Anyone else had any issues? It seems over 120 people on the Apple Store have left reviews saying how shocking these things are (http://store.apple.com/uk/reviews/MA538B/B?mco=MTEzMjMyNDk&rp=0)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Surely if its only months old you can get it fixed under a warranty can you not?? I know its not the point but at least it doesnt cost you another 60£

Apparently there is only 3 months on the charger if bought separately, although ive yet to check that.

I hope its not, as spending £120 on chargers within 4 months is just a joke imo!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Apple store is your friend, plenty of people have had them replaced.

Civic Em1, Civic Eg4
Mine has to be plugged in at all times, if i take the charger out of the laptop it shuts off straight away, mine dosent charge it at all, its just keeps it running while plugged in, i refuse to pay £60 for a new one, so i have to live like this for now :(

Fiat Panda 100hp
Try store or phone, they will fix it free of charge. Buying one straight away without talking to Apple FTL tbh.

Try store or phone, they will fix it free of charge. Buying one straight away without talking to Apple FTL tbh.

I acctually went into the store last time and they refused as I hadnt got applecare!

Anyway, after a LOT of hassle (I think its just the trafford center lot, but meh) I got it replaced, F.O.C.

Found out in other countries the 60w+80w Magsafes had been recalled due to the problem, but apple stores in the UK were trying to brush it over when mentioned.

After speaking to AppleCare and taking in printouts of the recall details to the store, they replaced it.

Wonder how long this one will last!

Rusty Cup
Apparently there is only 3 months on the charger if bought separately, although ive yet to check that.

I hope its not, as spending £120 on chargers within 4 months is just a joke imo!

warranty is 90 days on the replacement unit, power adapter is classed as consumable part.

a real money spinner for apple lol :(