ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Microsoft small business office edition. a Q.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Here is the example:

If you bought 3 computers, monitors and paid for the installation of the entire system onto broadband and set up for your small business at quite a sizable cost, and from looking at the invoice you see you have been charged £180 + VAT 3 times for a copy of Microsoft small business office edition, but due to one computer having a bit of a problem you had to reformat only to find out you have no boxed copy of office nor any license numbers, would it be safe to say for that cost you should?

(longest sentance in the world i know!)

Is it common practise for these itmes to be installed and then no hard copies given? SUrely a License should be with the paperwork?

I had to reformat my Dad's computer due to a bit of an issue and was quite shocked to find he had no copy of office having spunked out for it all in the invoice i was looking at. Obviously my Dad has no idea about computers so i took it as basically he got owned by the supplier?

I would expect 3 boxed copies of Office at £180 tbh. I think that is reasonable. any thoughts from the normal CS geeks?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
indeed, i told him to ring the dude up and get some hard copies with serials.:cool:

Should he technically get 3 boxed copies with 3 serials since he has paid 3 times? As i know you can get copies of office but pay for multiple serials to put on all the PC's etc.

Ummm, tbh normally id say just 1 copy and 3 serials but as hes paid the £180+VAT 3 times then he should have 3 boxes.

Clio 1.2 16v
Who set up your system?

IIRC 'set up'ers' can buy licenses direct from microsoft he should give you 3 licenses and you should also check with microsoft (ring them up or online) to see if they are genuine.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Well, you should have 3 Serials for the products, however you do NOT get boxes/cds. Most legally bought software does come with a cd, however the 2007 OFFICE series DOES NOT come with a disc, you need to be a retailer and have to have bought the software from the retailer. For instance in our business we have to buy licences for 2007 off of the supplier, but because you only buy the licence, I need to also buy the disk to install it (its not locked to serials etc)((so i can use it many times but with one disk)) so it is a bit like a VLK for Office, but you need the Office key to make it work.

You now get Credit Card shape stickers which are non removable from this card and are supplied with the retail box, however no CD is present in the box.

Basically all for piracy reducing reasons.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i won't name names but it is just a small local computer/network company. The name ain't too important really.

Yeah, kk, I'll check when we get the licenses and the cd's/boxes/instructions.

Having looked on PC World office small business edition is £379.99 and the upgrade edition is £229.99

To me it looks like he just put on a generic copy he has with some key he had to rinse some free monies tbh.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Ummm, tbh normally id say just 1 copy and 3 serials but as hes paid the £180+VAT 3 times then he should have 3 boxes.
negative, its 3 oem copies and there is no media, he should eb supplied the serials though as thats what he's paid the £180 each for.

The office will be restored by using the restore disk or partition with the computer, from the sounds of it you just did a format and installed windows again yourself?

was it a branded pc like hp? if so their standard image includes office 2007 now and you just activate it by serial.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
i won't name names but it is just a small local computer/network company. The name ain't too important really.

Yeah, kk, I'll check when we get the licenses and the cd's/boxes/instructions.

Having looked on PC World office small business edition is £379.99 and the upgrade edition is £229.99

To me it looks like he just put on a generic copy he has with some key he had to rinse some free monies tbh.

What office? 2003, 2007?

Office 2007 OEM (No disk with it) is £120.

Revels Mum & Sister
What version was it Seb.

2007 is Licence only for OEM, but 2003, XP used to come with media and a licence sticker.

I expect it was 2003 and you should have 3 X discs and 3 licenses

Revels Mum & Sister
Also Seb to see if it has a different key.

Google and download a free program called Jellybean, this will give you the office licence key on each machine see if they are the same. Also try doing updates to Office as well. They will probs fail if its pirate also failing this ring MS with the keys and get them to check them

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
cheers mate, you're a legend. i jsut sent you a special message btw ;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
What version was it Seb.

2007 is Licence only for OEM, but 2003, XP used to come with media and a licence sticker.

It is 2003 office on XP.

So i should have 3 cd's and 3 licenses?

Also, the Key for office is the same on the two computers! The key for XP is also the same but i have 3 different keys for XP on the stickers on the PC's so i ain't so worried about that.

It just suggests the company ghosted the 3 computers maybe?

bit cheeky though really.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
What version was it Seb.

It is 2003 office on XP.

So i should have 3 cd's and 3 licenses?

Also, the Key for office is the same on the two computers! The key for XP is also the same but i have 3 different keys for XP on the stickers on the PC's so i ain't so worried about that.

It just suggests the company ghosted the 3 computers maybe?

bit cheeky though really.

Well, office and XP you can activate it three times, before MS turn an eye and block it.

So i presume he has charged you three times for one product. No disk is suspicious.

Sounds like you have been ripped off.

All media from 2003 comes with a CD and a wallet with the serial attatched to it.

Either way, you should have a sticker at least (it's printed on the CD case on 2003) with the code on.. so even if you don't have the disc, you should have 3 empty CD wallets.

If you don't have that, you don't have a license effectively.

Revels Mum & Sister
as has been said if the Key is the same then looks like some weak clonage FTW sebathy my pretty

I would ring the cnuts and confront them! Ask them about it and demand they either give you cash monies back or supply the software.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
cheers guys, my old man rang them today and the guy got in a bit of a sweat. lol . ownage will be dished. i will update with the result in a few days ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab
cheers guys, my old man rang them today and the guy got in a bit of a sweat. lol . ownage will be dished. i will update with the result in a few days ;)
told you, ghost all the way FTW;)

Seb=pwned;)

Dust the warrant card off!

dk

911 GTS Cab
What version was it Seb.

yeah i was thinking it was vista and 2007 but it was 2k3 and xp, i called the same license key last night though, gotta love cloning a machine when supplying to a customer, especially a small business!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
***UPDATE***

Got 3 copies of microsoft office 2007 in their proper boxes with the proper keys and a cd so i can install it all. result in the end.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
If I had 3 boxed retail copies of that they'd be going straight on ebay! I had the trial on my machine at work and found the interface completely unusable.

....I want menus and lots of them!