ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK2 Clio Campus Sport - High Idle (2k RPM) and Limp Mode

Clio Campus Sport
I have had an intermittent issue with my Mk2 Clio Campus Sport ever since I've owned it with it going into limp mode, the engine mangement light coming on, plus the electrical fault light (think its called that) and not being able to rev the car very high, especially on colder days and when its wet. Re-setting the engine mangement light with a cheap code reader fixes the problem and then its fine for a good few weeks.

However, recently the problem has been getting a lot more frequent to the point now where the car is stuck permanently in limp mode. The biggest problem now however is the fact that the car is idling constantly at around 2500-3000 RPM when first started before settling down to around a 2000 RPM idle. I haven't driven it since its been like this but pressing the accelerator whilst stationary, the car is very hesitant and won't rev past 4000 RPM. I've tried taking the throttle body off and carefully cleaning it, which didn't change anything. Also I've tried un-plugging the accelerator pedal itself to see if it was stuck (just trying anything at this point) which also changed nothing. When reading the fault code, it comes up as a P0638 Throttle Actuator Control Range/Performance (Bank 1) if thats any help. Another thing I've noticed, when looking at the live data in the Torque app (only using a cheap OBD code reader), the throttle percent reading is always 20%, no matter if you're pressing the accelerator or not. I've tried this reader in another car and it does read the throttle percent correctly so not sure if this means anything.

I was wondering if anyone knows what would be best to try next? I don't really want to guessing and start spending money are parts that might not fix it.

Clio Campus Sport
Did you get to bottom of this?
I have similar issues on a 172 cup

Not too sure if it has solved the issue permanently but haven't had an issue since. I took the throttle body off again and re cleaned it plus carefully cleaned out the connector plugging into the back of the throttle body. Also, I re seated the MAP sensor (on top of the inlet manifold, pretty sure it's a MAP sensor) since it was pretty loose and also cleaned out its connector. Don't know which one or whether it was a combination of both but the limp mode has gone and the electrical warning light and engine management havent come back yet after I cleared all the fault codes

Renault clio 1.2
Not too sure if it has solved the issue permanently but haven't had an issue since. I took the throttle body off again and re cleaned it plus carefully cleaned out the connector plugging into the back of the throttle body. Also, I re seated the MAP sensor (on top of the inlet manifold, pretty sure it's a MAP sensor) since it was pretty loose and also cleaned out its connector. Don't know which one or whether it was a combination of both but the limp mode has gone and the electrical warning light and engine management havent come back yet after I cleared all the fault codes
2 things I gasket sealer to hold map sensor in place 2 if you have aftermarket air filter you need to route the crankcase breather into cone filter into inlet through centre of cone filter as venting won't work it needs vacuum of inlet