ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Modification help please

Clio 1.2 16v mk2
I have a clio 1.2 16v mk2 as i cannot drive anything much bigger because of rediciolous insurance premiums, i need to know what engine modifications i can do that will actually benefit my car idealy i want 150 bhp +, is this possible or do i need a bigger engine to start off with. Can anyone give me some advice please?

Golf GTI 1.8T
150bhp lol. if a 2 litre sport is only at 172/182 how you think your gonna get 150 out of a 1.2.....

anyway, theres nothing you can do to make your car actually faster without spending thousands on pointless engine modifications.

the best value for money would be to put an engine in, or buy a 2.0 clio from the start.

either way your insurance is gonna be high, whatever you do to it.

106 GTi
Welcome to CS.

Yeah another engine is required! Which sounds like its not an option if your looking decent insurance premiums.

Clio 1.2 16v mk2
so im best just sticking a induction kit and new exhaust and waiting till i can afford the insurance??

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
In the short term, a few breathing mods, (filter/exhaust) etc then get saving for bigger engine :)

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS
Save your pennies for a new car. The extra insurance premium for an induction kit and an exhaust will be astronomical if you are a young lad. They make sod all difference apart from noise anyway.

Steve

Clio 1.2 16v mk2
I think i will just get a filter and exhaust and not claim it on my insurance because i cant afford the extra i just need to hope that i dont crash, i have also been thinking of chipping it if i can find the money and if it is going to be worth chipping such a small engine.

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS
So you are going to commit the criminal act of fraud and potentially risk losing the entire value of your car for 1 BHP and a bit of noise.

You are a fool.

Steve

Clio 1.2 16v mk2
thats a fair point, the main problem i have is i just spent 4k on my car and i just realised if i spent that on a older car then it would probably be a hell of alot better than what i have, i just want to add a bit of performance without breaking the bank too much is a engine conversion the way to go then?

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS
How much no claims do you have and how old are you?

My fist car was a 1.2 Nova (12 years ago :eek: ). I bided my time for 2 years, building up a bit of no claims bonus before changing for an Astra Sport (Whoo!), ran this for a few years and then when I had 4 years bonus changed the Astra for a brand new Puma. This then led onto Imprezas and now the little French clatterwagon.

That's the best advice I can give you regarding the insurance and fast cars. Unless you are rich and can p!ss £1500 off on insurance.

So in answer, forget the engine transplant for the following reasons.

1. Insurance will go up big style.
2. It will make the car more unreliable and therefore more expensive
3. You'll never sell it on for any kind of decent price.

Steve

Renault clio RSi 1.6 16v
OllyzClio said:
I think i will just get a filter and exhaust and not claim it on my insurance because i cant afford the extra i just need to hope that i dont crash, i have also been thinking of chipping it if i can find the money and if it is going to be worth chipping such a small engine.

I know loads of people who do this and I advise you DONT.
If you run into another car or worse another person your insurance company will run a mile leaving you to sort out the mess in court, this could potentially leave you picking up a tab for tens of £1000's.

Monaco Blue Mk2
kerbdog said:
I know loads of people who do this and I advise you DONT.
If you run into another car or worse another person your insurance company will run a mile leaving you to sort out the mess in court, this could potentially leave you picking up a tab for tens of £1000's.

I'm sure he could manage to whip the old filter back in before an inspection.

Blue4Ever said:
I'm sure he could manage to whip the old filter back in before an inspection.
I'm not sure I know of a few cars where the owner woke up in Hospital the car was at the police compund or insurance compound.
Its not worth modyifying for the none existant gains unless you can pay the proper perium.

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
To be honest if you modify your car in anyway you have to tell the insurance company, if you dont your an idiot! As others have said is it worth it for 3bhp? Also instead of induction kit, just get an uprated filter and reroute your air feeds, get full system instead of backbox. The insurance companies dont class these as performance enhancing mods so should only see a 20quid increase if that. I saw nothing!