ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MR2

Mk1 Mr2
I’ve always loved MR2s. I’ve had quite a few, maybe around 20 and all Mk1’s apart from a couple of Mk2s which I didn’t get along with. I still own two Mk1’s, one is retro fitted with a Celica GT4 engine running around 400bhp but hasn’t been on the road for 3 years now due to a number of reasons.

Since the age of 17 until last year I’ve always had two cars on the road, usually one sensible daily and a fun / unusual car. Most recently a Daihatsu Mira Avanzato 660cc, then a Mk1 Nova, a Punto GT and a Clio 172. I sold the Clio when I started a storage business last year and I’ve sorely missed having something to blast around in.

My Mk1’s need a lot of work / money spending so I’ve scratched the itch by buying this little Japanese Import ‘MRS’. It is slow as hell but good fun, handles well. My 6 year old loves it.. we’ve been to a couple of shows / meets which we both enjoyed.

Voila

0EA9D088-4D6C-4372-9971-C9251102BD9D.jpeg

Immediate plans: I am trying to find a hard top for a reasonable price. Also looking at Celica 190s / Corolla T Sports for the 2ZZ engine swap which should have been offered from the factory originally.

Mk1 Mr2
Here’s one of my Mk1’s

9E2846C3-A381-44E0-8E0D-CD6976408109.png

Here’s a Mk2 which I bought courtesy of the BBC to be modified for a TV show a couple of years back

2EA94C05-4929-4083-9885-9F61CE640386.jpeg

My old grey wide arch Mk1 with a MK2 Mr2 turbo engine. Rust got the better of it unfortunately

2E5479B9-D9F5-42B1-AB05-72AB7164F006.png

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
I’ve always loved MR2s. I’ve had quite a few, maybe around 20 and all Mk1’s apart from a couple of Mk2s which I didn’t get along with. I still own two Mk1’s, one is retro fitted with a Celica GT4 engine running around 400bhp but hasn’t been on the road for 3 years now due to a number of reasons.

Since the age of 17 until last year I’ve always had two cars on the road, usually one sensible daily and a fun / unusual car. Most recently a Daihatsu Mira Avanzato 660cc, then a Mk1 Nova, a Punto GT and a Clio 172. I sold the Clio when I started a storage business last year and I’ve sorely missed having something to blast around in.

My Mk1’s need a lot of work / money spending so I’ve scratched the itch by buying this little Japanese Import ‘MRS’. It is slow as hell but good fun, handles well. My 6 year old loves it.. we’ve been to a couple of shows / meets which we both enjoyed.

Voila

View attachment 1709889

Immediate plans: I am trying to find a hard top for a reasonable price. Also looking at Celica 190s / Corolla T Sports for the 2ZZ engine swap which should have been offered from the factory originally.
Nice! I've got this one sat in my garage awaiting me finding the time to drop in the replacement engine. Great fun to drive!

IMG_20230715_122004297_MFNR.jpg

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Are you upgrading to be engine?
Not for now, I've just got a low mileage std replacement that I'm doing a rebuild on before dropping it in. I've stripped the replacement engine but not found the time to put it back together yet. It's having a complete rebuild including all bearings, rings, seals, gaskets, oil pump, timing chain etc. Plan is to run it for another year or so with that engine in then look to do a conversion of some sort.

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
My mate had a 2ZZ one. It died on track not long after he bought it. He also says he’d rather the 1.8t if he were to do it again, even if it’s only at stock power.

Mk1 Mr2
My mate had a 2ZZ one. It died on track not long after he bought it. He also says he’d rather the 1.8t if he were to do it again, even if it’s only at stock power.

I am surprised as they are strong engines. It’s the high revving characteristics of the 2ZZ that I am after. I’ve have owned three Corolla T Sports and the kick from the high lift cam is quite addictive albeit the engine is a bit flat all the way up to 6200rpm. I think it will be very well suited to the lightweight MR2 and it’s Toyota engine so win win.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I had a mk3 mr2 about 6 or 7 years ago. Paid £700 for it from an older guy as the gearbox was noisey. Replaced the gearbox with a £250 second-hand unit and it was mint after that. Was my first experience of dropping a gearbox and fitting a replacement. Not long after I had to do the box on my 182, which was much more of a task with the subframe needing to be dropped.

I never really felt comfortable pushing it though, It may have been the mid-engine setup, but also it was probably a bit tired and needed all the bushes, etc refreshing and properly set up. It was better after an alignment, but never quite right.

Would have loved a 2zz conversion. and I think I actually enquired about the MR2 @Chrisgti6 bought a couple of years ago via gumtree, as I fancied another go, before eventually getting another Z4.

Am I right in saying the JDM imported cars don't come with the lsd as standard?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
My mate had a supercharged MK1 back in the day.

I seem to remember the fuel tank makes them death traps? 😆

Mk1 Mr2
My mate had a supercharged MK1 back in the day.

I seem to remember the fuel tank makes them death traps? 😆

I’ve had three Superchargers, I’m not aware of any fuel tank issues..
I bought the first one in 2004, sold it and then bought it back. It’s currently in my storage unit but not looking quite a shiny!

A735108D-C95F-440D-847C-66F8DA3BB7A8.png

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Proper shitter. I take it you didn’t get their details? Just buy it back if they write it off, damage looks superficial.

Shame about the damage, but it looks like its only a rear quarter. You'll get a replacement for peanuts from J-spec in Scotland.

Defo stick with the 2zz idea, they are a lot of fun on road and track.

Here's mine I've had for over 5 years now.

Screenshot_20240924_191016_Gallery.jpg

Goes well on track too.