ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Car website struggling with visits - SEO help

172 CUP
I have built an online shop for a large local car retailer similar to Halfords selling everything from exhausts, bikes, air fresheners, wipers the lot and im struggling now to get any sales.

One problem I know is the fact we sell everything so its hard to pinpoint what direction to push the site but im still only seeing a steady 50 visits a day and about 1 order a month.
I/We have no money to throw at adwords. Any one got any ideas. some very odd product specific words rank high in Google but others don’t.

How can I get backlinks to the site and all other things that will help, Ive got H1-4 tags used, tried with some keywords in landing page descriptions.
I can see we have people putting stuff in the basket so going to try and investigate why they are not completing the sale. Im also going to get an ssl certificate all payment is through paypal or google at the mo so no real need.

Im not posting the link as this is a car forum and in no way a cheeky bit of advertising I am genuinely after ideas.

Steve

Post the link up mate. You aren't going to get much help without doing so.

I'd say your problem isn't really with the SEO if you're only getting 1 order from 1500 visits. I'm guessing the design/parts aren't that cheap?

Facebook
QR codes
Give out business cards at car shows
Get a stand at shows
Signwrite a car
Get in the local news for PR - obviously if the shop had a 'mortar' location that would help.

MR2 Mk1.5
Nice site, shockingly bad choice of name in my opinion. I wouldn't buy /visit the site on the basis of the random name it has been given. Needs to be something which describes the products surely, autopartsdirect.cum or something similar

I'll throw some points down here for this page alone: http://www.a1mcganns.co.uk/alloy-wheel-cleaner/9645-meguiars-hot-rims-all-wheel-cleaner.html

Google.co.uk search Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner result = Page4

On page SEO - Mostly it looks pretty good. Nothing serious is missing. The Meta Description could do with more info. Who's done the SEO?

If I'm honest, I don't like the look of the site. Looks busy/fusy. Also, these boxes don't make sense to me:

8caf57af.jpg

Nice site, shockingly bad choice of name in my opinion. I wouldn't buy /visit the site on the basis of the random name it has been given. Needs to be something which describes the products surely, autopartsdirect.cum or something similar

They've kept the company name (40 years trading), so it makes sense if they have known name locally. Although one idea would be to have a different URL for the website too.

172 CUP
The shop has been around in northampton for 40 odd years and is part of the A1 motorstores group owned by and this one is David McGann loads of them out there, Used to have a separate bike shop and two car shops now its reduced down to one larger shop.

Im building the website and they are adding the products but really struggling to get any conversions. I think the next thing is an online offer vouchers etc in store. the guys in the store are saying people are coming in saying "I saw this on your site" which is good.

the problem with things like head units is everyone searches for the model number on google and buys the cheapest there is very tiny margins in head-units.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Google checkout/paypal is probably putting some people off & the design of the site isn't great. My first impression is that it looks dodgy and unprofessional, although I am biased with my web development history. The other thing is the price of your products - are you pricing business away? I can't be arsed to check for you but maybe have a quick search for some of your best selling things and compare prices with other companies. When I do online shopping I ALWAYS google for a better price. P&P can make a huge difference too - if it costs more somewhere else but the postage is cheaper, i'll tend to use them and ignore the basket full of items on the other site.

Regarding SEO....

There are a lot of free directories you can add links to your site from for free, some better than others. There are also a lot of good paid links. Pagerank alone won't help you get high up in google, but it does mean that your site is likely to benefit more from any SEO you perform on the page. Probably the most important part of getting high up in the listings is the browser title. You need this to reflect what people are searching for. For instance, if it was the Hilton Hotel in Edinburgh you'd probably want a title such as "Hilton Hotel in Edinburgh Scotland". That way you capture people searching for Hilton Hotel, Hotel in Edinburgh, Hotel in Scotland. Crap example, but that's the idea. There is a free tool you can use to check how many people are searching for certain things every month:

http://www.goodkeywords.com/

It's not totally accurate as it uses Overture results, which is obviously a lower percentage of searches than Google, but it's still very useful. Watch out with this though as overture doesn't distinguish between singular and plural. It would probably say hotel in edinburgh, but that could mean hotels in edinburgh for example. It also sometimes jumbles the phrases around, for example it might say edinburgh hotel in, which is clearly b****cks, just need to use your common sense and rejumble the words.

Anyway, the idea is to try and capture a couple of really good search phrases in the browser title. If it's quite a niche site then just one really good keyword phrase can work as well. Try your best to make a sentence out of it though so it makes sense rather than being mumbo jumbo. The ordering of the keywords are important. Try to use each keyword once only however, google doesn't like spammed keywords.

Once you browser title is sorted you're half way there. It's always best to have an <h1> tag as close to the </head> tag as possible. Doesn't have to be standard uber large heading text, can just be a small bit of text at the top left of a page. Try and make it similar to the browser title, but not identical, maybe try shuffling a few words around.

Meta tags are not so important for google, I'm pretty sure it doesn't even look at them, however yahoo and MSN do so try and make sure your meta keywords and description also reflect what you're trying to capture in the browser title. With keywords most people seem to seperate them by commas, I prefer to just make a sentence, it has the same effect. To use the same example I'd probably have "hilton hotel edinburgh scotland uk" With the description try to make it descriptive but get they keywords in there, don't make it too long mind. Try to use each keyword more than once, MSN seems to like that.

Your on page text should also contain your keywords, but not too often. Around 4% of text is ideal. You don't want to use too many keywords as Google can penalise sites for being spammy with keywords. If you can't adjust the on page text without sounding s**t then it's probably best to re-write it or just see how you do with the other changes.

So that's it, the basics of SEO :) One more thing regarding links it to your site. I'm not convinced it matters so much now, but the link text linking in to your website helps considerably. An example of this is if you type "click here" in to google, Adobe appear number one. Just think of how many people link to Acrobat Reader with the link text "Click Here". Having relevent keywords on the page that is linking out to you will help also, so try and make it a relevent link rather than just a random place with millions of links and nothing else. Google can't penalise you for having crap links in as that would make it very easy to sabotage other people's rankings, however you probably won't gain anything from crap links.

There is a plugin for firefox called Search Status which has a few useful features, it displays the pagerank of every page and allows you to see what the keyword density of your page is and a few other bits and pieces.

Regarding Google Adwords - I know you said you can't afford it but it is great for driving traffic, even if you don't spend loads. The only real secret to getting better click through rates in Adwords is to not have one advert and a s**t load of keywords for that advert. Have lots of adverts with ad text that is actaully relevent to the keyword you want to capture. Rankings in Google Adwords are based on how much you want to spend. Google does however take in to consideration the amount of clicks the advert gets. So if you were bidding 25p per click and someone was bidding 27p you could actually get higher than him by getting more clicks than his advert.

Hope this helps...

172 CUP
wow, what a lot of good responses, thanks guys.

In regards to those funk images i uploaded the images to the headers for the boxes only to find the H4 header is the same for both boxes so the search box got a bit screwed up. I am in the process of fixing it.

Steve

LY 182
I'd imagine part of the problem is the company itself. I'd much rather buy from Halfords, for example, because I know the brand and that gives me the trust factor.

In terms of the SEO factor, you've got a pretty big job to do with this one. The general problem with an E-commerce site is the fact there's a f**k load of other companies online selling the exact same products. Are your product descriptions standard ones that appear across the web or have they been done manually? If they're not unique then you're going to have trouble outranking another site that probably has more authority with Google.

Getting links will help, but it's a pretty tough task to find good quality, relevant links.

The first thing I'd do would be some competitor research. Look at Google, find out what sites are ranking highly for a lot of the stuff you're selling, and see what they are doing.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Its going to take a lot of work to get a website like that to rank well. And tbh, ranking is 1/8th of the battle.

As stated above, the website is a drop in the ocean in comparison what is out there. If I buy a car part, I go to eBay. If its an emergency I go to Halfords. I would imagine the local shop front will be the winning platform to stick with, the online side of it will be a bonus to some of you more regular customers, but ffs dont spend too much time on the website if it isnt converting any sales.

Have you got an eBay shop?

A well designed shop with your main URL on it, although not allowed by eBay, but if you don't spam if they don't usually mind, will drive traffic to it.