ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first studio portrait session

Today was the first time I've ever taken a photo of a 'model', I've always steered clear of 'people photography', just because of the extra difficulties involved. With a car....it just sits there nice and quiet.....people are a bit different ;)

But I am quite lucky to be able to use the studio at work, so Jay (Burpspeed fame ;)) asked me to do some shots of his 1yr old son and family......which was something I was more than happy to have a go at.

I didn't do any set-up shots, but Jay did get this shot using my phone to give you an idea of the set-up:

IMAG0041.jpg

I had a rough idea of the lighting set-up. One flash left of camera high, the other right side lighting the background. I also experimented with a SB800 from behind to light the hair.

So I set it all up, and this was honest to god the first frame I captured!:

NCP_00014.jpg

I guessed at the camera settings from my product photography experience, and was pretty spot on! A lot easier than I thought!

So we just played about, and these were the results:

NCP_00028.jpg

NCP_00032.jpg

NCP_00046.jpg

NCP_00073.jpg

NCP_00077.jpg

NCP_00100.jpg

NCP_00139.jpg

He's just about getting the hang of walking.
NCP_00137.jpg

NCP_00164.jpg

Overall I'm pretty happy for my first attempt, as always there's a few things I'll try differently next time - mainly changing the lighting around a bit.

Oh....and photographing him was a challenge too! For the crawling shots, Jay would let him go, then I had to try to get a shot before he goes out of the effective flash area.....bloody difficult....he's rapid on all fours!!

Any C+C would be great :)

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Some very cute pics there Dan. Wow he has grown up alot! Not bad for a first effort mate!:approve:

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Wriggly little buggers arent they, at least he wasn't balling his eyes out, nightmare when that happens.
You did well, whenever I shoot familys with babies I always bare in mind
that as long as the customer's happy thats all that counts.

Although I don't ask my customers to launch their children into the air. LOL;)

Was the colour temp on the camera the same as the lights output?
Did you do that without a flash meter?

Cupra
Great shots.

It's a personal taste, but I always opt to burn the grey shadow out in the foreground a bit more. On one hand, it's grounds the subject, but I always prefer the image wiithout the grey. I.e. Keep the real shadow but burn the less lit paper.

Nikon D700
Top stuff.

I tend to use a massive reflector to remove the front shadows... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't though.

Did you move the lights at all from the shot at the top? When shooting families I always tend to spend all my time at their level, and my softbox usually lives about 6 inches from the floor.

Wriggly little buggers arent they, at least he wasn't balling his eyes out, nightmare when that happens.
You did well, whenever I shoot familys with babies I always bare in mind
that as long as the customer's happy thats all that counts.

Although I don't ask my customers to launch their children into the air. LOL;)

Was the colour temp on the camera the same as the lights output?
Did you do that without a flash meter?

Not too sure about the colour temperature.
Yes, shot without a flash meter. I really should start learning how to use one lol! We even had one in that studio!

Top stuff.

I tend to use a massive reflector to remove the front shadows... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't though.

Did you move the lights at all from the shot at the top? When shooting families I always tend to spend all my time at their level, and my softbox usually lives about 6 inches from the floor.

I kept the lights pretty much the same for all the shots, I moved them a touch for some though.