ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My latest 172 - Showing her some love!

RB 182
image.jpeg
After owning various different 172s, a 182 and a 200, I generally sell them and move away from Clios, but always seem to end up back!

Anyhow, this is my latest

As my Mrs' MK7 Golf R had just gone back, and we'd just taken delivery of a Tiguan, I don't need a big car, so the brief was simple - as cheap as possible, preferably needing a cambelt so it would be extra cheap!

This one was listed on eBay, one owner since 2007, all standard blah blah, however when I enquired about the belts, they hadn't been done since 2007, and the owner was unaware they needed doing! He then added a paragraph into his eBay ad, being totally honest and also mentioning the engine was very noisey

So, I bid, but got outbid at the last second. Half hour later, up pops a second chance offer, saying the winning bidder couldn't collect until the weekend, if I came that day, I could have it as his new car came that week. SOLD, a promised trip to The Trafford Centre in exchange for a list over was offered to the Mrs (the car was 2 mins from TC), and I picked it up. To say the engine was noisey was an understatement, I actually had to have a think whether I was doing the right thing, but in the end I paid him. To my surprise, he had EVERY receipt from new, all in a date order file, every MOT with attached invoice, every tax disc! The body was pretty mint, with recent brakes, suspensions and tyres, but the 5 years overdue belt, and the aux belt that had never been done, meant a 50mph M62 jaunt home followed! The bonus of this was it did 52mpg on the way home haha

This weekend, I set about the most pressing job - the cambelt. The timing was out, as I thought it would be, and the aux belt was only just hanging on! I've done two of these, but both previous ones didn't have AC, the aux took me an hour to get off! I'm a technician for Audi, so I'd like to think I know what I'm doing but it was tight!

Some photos

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 110
  RB 182
image.jpeg

Multitasking!

image.jpeg

And now she sits today. I've fitted some Cooksport springs, as my last two had them on and I like how it sits
image.jpeg

Jobs still to do are

Headlight restoration
Spray grill etc black as they've faded
New front pads - has cheap EuroCarParts one in that don't fit as they clunk when you brake forward, then clunk in reverse
Rear tyres - Three As aren't going to be too good on track
And tbh that's it

I bought it to do a few track days in, nothing hardcore just an amatuer tootling round!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 102

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Nice to see a track car being left relatively standard initially, although I'm sure more bits will appear over time ;-)

RB 182
So yesterday I bought these two

image.png
image.png

Think I'll get some Brembo discs and pads off George and change the brake fluid and gearbox oil, and then see how she goes at Blyton Park in May