ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My next track car?

Mini Cooper JCW
Hi All,
I'm new here, and looking for some advice from Clio owners on my next track car.
I am considering a Clio as my next track car, I'd really like a nice, well sorted 1*2 (Clubsport spec). I have looked at comparisons between the 1*2 and the 197 Clio's and read various forums, all from around 8 years ago, which at the time, people were saying buy a 1*2 as they were cheaper to buy at the time. But, now the 1*2 and the 197's are similarly priced in this day and age, is it worth 'upgrading' to a 197? or shall I still be looking for a 1*2.
Ideally, I only want to be spending £5000 ish on a track car. Not sure if you can even get a good Clio 1*2 for that these days...
abit about my car history, I have owned quite a few cars but have only tracked a Megane RS250, E92 M3 &, my current Mini F56 JCW.
I'm looking at tracking a clio due to it being a cheaper car and cheaper on consumables compared to the cars I've tracked previously.
How reliable will they be and which is the one to go for? Any further info is greatly appreciated, as I really do not know much about these:)
Thanks,
Harvey.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Mk2’s are cheaper for parts. But out of the box it wouldn’t see which way a 197/200 went on track.
But then stick some tyres/brakes/suspension on a Mk2 and it’s a different story. The weight of the Mk3 hinders it somewhat.

Ultimately it’s personal preference as they’re both much of a muchness.

Both will be a lot better on track than your Mini - unless it’s highly modified.

EthanMenace

ClioSport Club Member
  2010 Clio 200 Cup
As above a mk2 will probably be cheaper on parts albeit some oem parts are difficult to get a hold of now.

crunchy gearboxes, dodgy ball joints and belts are the main things to look out for on a 197/200 but otherwise given proper maintenance they’ll do well.

I’ve had my 200 for nearly 4 years and still really enjoy it on track and it’s reasonably cheap to run

Mini Cooper JCW
Mk2’s are cheaper for parts. But out of the box it wouldn’t see which way a 197/200 went on track.
But then stick some tyres/brakes/suspension on a Mk2 and it’s a different story. The weight of the Mk3 hinders it somewhat.

Ultimately it’s personal preference as they’re both much of a muchness.

Both will be a lot better on track than your Mini - unless it’s highly modified.
The Mini is modified with the usual track parts, but I still don't think it was as good as my Megane on just lowering springs. Which is why I'm considering another RenualtSport. Thanks for the input, I prefer the look of the 1*2 cars, so will probably be looking at them over the 197's.
I've a friend with an RS200, so I have been out in one, but never been out in a 1*2 car. If anyone is around Gloucestershire and would let me poke around one and maybe even take me out in it, that would be great! ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The Mini is modified with the usual track parts, but I still don't think it was as good as my Megane on just lowering springs. Which is why I'm considering another RenualtSport. Thanks for the input, I prefer the look of the 1*2 cars, so will probably be looking at them over the 197's.
I've a friend with an RS200, so I have been out in one, but never been out in a 1*2 car. If anyone is around Gloucestershire and would let me poke around one and maybe even take me out in it, that would be great! ;)
Get yourself to Cliosport Festival! Be plenty you can go out in.