ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

need a AP that does G and N 5Ghz at the same time

im needing to put some wireless access into some meeting rooms so want to give the best cover possible so id like to do both G & N using 5Ghz for the N rather than 2.4 if i can

anyone know of any devices

185lb/ft dCi
i think any wireless n enabled device should be able to do it. wireless N has security mechanisms in place which stop g and n traffic colliding like RTS/CTS

edit: didn't see you said 5ghz for g, g only runs on 2.4ghz though?

edit 2: i can't read

lol it seems some will only operate in one at a time 5Ghz or 2.4 i may just need to do 2.4 for it all that way it will work but id like 5

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Or just buy one AP and lots of repeaters, it's how it works here.

One AP per office, lots of repeaters in the ceiling, perfect coverage

Facelift R53 Cooper S
I can vouch or the Cisco AP's, although we run the 1130 a/g so slightly older than the model posted above.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Signal strength is pretty good on the Airport Extremes but it doesn't even come close to the Cisco Aironet's.
Plus they aren't able to be centrally managed via a Wireless Access Controller AFAIK.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Apple stores use them. They get a battering there too.

That's a shop, not an office

Clearly they're very good in a home/retail environment, but as DMS says they aren't as awesome as the Cisco Aironets.

Price point is completely different, too

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yeah. You need a bank loan to buy an Aironet unless you're a high roller (or "borrow" it from work as I have).

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Signal strength is pretty good on the Airport Extremes but it doesn't even come close to the Cisco Aironet's.
Plus they aren't able to be centrally managed via a Wireless Access Controller AFAIK.

You can remote configure them via "Airport Utility" which comes with OSX or can be downloaded for windows.

They fully support radius servers, so if you want authentication, not a problem.

From the OP it sounded like it was hardly mission critical and doesn't sound like it needs overpriced cisco kit.

DMS

A thirsty 172
You can remote configure them via "Airport Utility" which comes with OSX or can be downloaded for windows.

They fully support radius servers, so if you want authentication, not a problem.

From the OP it sounded like it was hardly mission critical and doesn't sound like it needs overpriced cisco kit.

Ah. Didn't know that. I've got very little experience with them if I'm honest - I've only ever set one up for a mate. I'll give Apple credit though, they do make stuff very easy to configure.

My response was in regard to the OP's statement that he wants to maximise coverage / signal strength, in which case the Aironets WOULD be better. But as you say, price does come into it somewhere along the line and the Aironets aren't cheap.