ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need a lot of help and suggestions please....driving me insane

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Ok, so my car is on a mission to kill me...I'll explain.

For the last few months my car has been getting very smelly, as in overfueling. I'm very concerned as the smell is coming into the cabin of the car, it has started to give me headaches etc.

The car has been running in cold start mode for around 20-25 mins, which got me thinking it was over compensating with fuel thinking it was still cold. I changed the temp sensor and thermastat for another one from a car I'm breaking and the problem is still there.

These last few days when testing to see if the cold start limiter is still on (after 20 mins at 70mph) its been hitting the limiter and coughing/spluttering, then the revs start to stick on whilst on overrun. When you drop the clutch and rev it, it's popping and banging like a good one.

I did have a diagnostic run at RST back in august which highlighted the crank position sensor as a problem, however I'm not sure why it make the car pop and bang.

Also an issue which has been occuring is whilst pulling away, it has been pulling away as normal with the same throttle application, then all of a sudden it cuts all power, then regains power, its a bit like been on a shuggy boat, you dont know whats going to happen next. It used to happen on change of direction, which made me think of fuel starvation from the fuel pump, however I've never known this on any of the 1*2's I've owned.

One last thing and I thank you if you've got this far, the EML has been coming on and off ever since I had my de-cat fitted from my yozza 5 months ago, it will come on then after around 40 miles go off. Also whilst sitting the other night the EML started flashing, so I turned the car off thinking there was a fueling fault, started it back up and everything was fine.

I really hope someone can help, I cant put my finger on what the problem is, I've got a few hundred £££ put aside for brand new sensors and I'm thinking about changing the following:

Both Lambdas
Crank position sensor
map
thermostat
temp sensor

It is literally driving me to insanity.

One last thought, is it possible for the carbon cannister to get clogged up? Hence fuel smell coming into the cabin?

Thanks in advance

Passat 170 DSG Wagon
Sounds like a possible injector fault? I had this for some time and it popped, banged and smelt like a service station. The only way to really know is to get some live data from the car I would have thought to see whats what. I did like you and changed everything on the car and then discovered that part of the issue was that the timing was pretty far out, so it's being fixed right now and hopefully all is well later today.

Edit: maybe try inlet temp sensor on the plenum?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
to test injectors, take plugs out after letting the car idle for a while and see if one is sooty. clean the plugs and replace them swap the injector from the sooty pot to another. run the car on idle again and see if the plug in the pot you moved the injector to is sooty, if it is then its a duff injector

I don't fully understand why you haven't already swapped the crank sensor as well, if its flagged up as an issue then surely swapping that out first would be prudent? and if you have a car breaking, just swap the sensors out of that onto yours to test.

Audi A5
The eml light could just be coming on as you've Got a decat, simple as that really.

What mpg is Your car getting?

100-120 miles to £20?

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
The eml light could just be coming on as you've Got a decat, simple as that really.

What mpg is Your car getting?

100-120 miles to £20?

I'm averaging around 34mpg on the trip computer and around 40 miles to £10 of vpower.

I'll swap the injectors out as I've got a full set there and see if that helps.

I dont want to start using 2nd hand sensors as we thought the cold start issue would go away after using a 2nd hand thermostat and temp sensor.

The belts were done at k-tec however it does have quite a viscious kick at 5k rpm which I've never had in any of the others.

On the live data run at RST the only problem coming up was the Crank position sensor.

For reference the car is pulling 175bhp on RST's rollers