ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
I have to admit, as a Clio owner, I do find the weight of modern cars quite shocking. But when you get behind the wheel of a 2.2-tonne Hyundai that's more entertaining to drive than some sports cars, you do stop thinking about it. Honestly, this is one of the most fun cars I've ever driven, because it is so bloody fast, and yet still so very involving. Albeit thanks to a heck of a lot of fakery...

PS. My Clio will be going up against an EP3 CTR soon on the channel 👀

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
After my relatively short drive, I was certain the car would be insanely fast - no matter where you took it on a circuit.

As I mentioned earlier, there was a Tesla Model 3 Performance at Croft that absolutely dominated the straights. However, it struggled to pull away from the typical 200-300 bhp track cars over a full lap.

In the right hands, though, this car would be unstoppable.

If this is the future of electric cars, die-hard petrol heads are in for a treat.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Have Labour given any intent around EV encouragement / long term BIK commitment yet?

I've not seen/heard anything of late, but the principal party manifestos ahead of the recent election all said pretty much the exact same thing, a couple of lines, one tiny paragraph...

"We will ensure our positive progress towards net zero by supporting the introduction of a national high-speed public EV charging infrastructure".

Nothing from any of them about incentivising people into a £34k EV Corsa when a £24k hybrid Corsa is the default most economically sound choice.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yeah err no,

1724155532606.png

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Would love to have go in one, but just couldn't sign up to own one.

I'd prefer to pay half as much, have less than half the power and get an i30N Performance instead. Complete with none of the six fakes mentioned at the start.

I don't know why manufacturers cannot simply accept an EV for what it is - without trying to fool your brain into thinking that you're having some form of direct, mechanical involvement with it.

edit - great video, by the way! (y)

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah direct with Hyundai I found to be as good as any lease broker offers out there.

I ended up going with my local dealer, actual price for 1+35, 12k miles per annum, free paint but £1250 panoramic roof, £757 + VAT per month.
Jeez thats an expensive car. Do you get certain tax breaks and benefits then?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
£599 direct from Hyundai plus 6 up front over 36 months, 8k p.a
This is a complete package though, insurance, maintenance, etc, for 36 months / 10k pa with nothing to pay up front, plus it's salary sacrifice so a nice tax saving if you're in the 40% bracket.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Jeez thats an expensive car. Do you get certain tax breaks and benefits then?

My man maths at work...

Firstly, my EV, whatever I choose, is company provided and fully expensed, tyres, brakes, insurance, battery gets charged daily at work. None of that has an impact on me either as cash or BIK.

So the only thing I need worry about when choosing a car is the lease cost, and how that impacts my take home. After the tax breaks from the salary sacrifice scheme, the i3 is pretty much cost neutral, what it costs me in net pay for the lease is not far off what I was paying to fuel my Cayman on the commute.

With that in mind, car choice: Sarah and I have learned that 42kWh in the i3 does not give us enough range. A bigger battery was a must, and first choice was the twin-motor Volvo EX30. Done. We were having one. More range, far more practicality. More use at the weekend of the fully charged and free battery. 428bhp plus I think it looks proper cool.

£162 per month over the cost of the i3. Sorted.

Then Hyundai released the 5N. It didn't take long on YT before I knew I had to have one.

Lease costs were initially coming out at £925 + VAT, do-able in my head, just. Interest expressed at the local dealer, dialog established, but no commitment made as I wanted to watch and see if there was any movement or broker deals to be had.

Then Hyundai dropped it to £757 + VAT a month which made it much more palatable, so talk got more serious.

I've ended up with that price, confirmed, but they will also honour and recontract after any price movement by Hyundai Finance that goes in my favour.

So versus the EX30 that we were already having in my head, the Ioniq 5N will cost me a maximum additional £67 a month.

Who wouldn't? LOL

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
My man maths at work...

Firstly, my EV, whatever I choose, is company provided and fully expensed, tyres, brakes, insurance, battery gets charged daily at work. None of that has an impact on me either as cash or BIK.

So the only thing I need worry about when choosing a car is the lease cost, and how that impacts my take home. After the tax breaks from the salary sacrifice scheme, the i3 is pretty much cost neutral, what it costs me in net pay for the lease is not far off what I was paying to fuel my Cayman on the commute.

With that in mind, car choice: Sarah and I have learned that 42kWh in the i3 does not give us enough range. A bigger battery was a must, and first choice was the twin-motor Volvo EX30. Done. We were having one. More range, far more practicality. More use at the weekend of the fully charged and free battery. 428bhp plus I think it looks proper cool.

£162 per month over the cost of the i3. Sorted.

Then Hyundai released the 5N. It didn't take long on YT before I knew I had to have one.

Lease costs were initially coming out at £925 + VAT, do-able in my head, just. Interest expressed at the local dealer, dialog established, but no commitment made as I wanted to watch and see if there was any movement or broker deals to be had.

Then Hyundai dropped it to £757 + VAT a month which made it much more palatable, so talk got more serious.

I've ended up with that price, confirmed, but they will also honour and recontract after any price movement by Hyundai Finance that goes in my favour.

So versus the EX30 that we were already having in my head, the Ioniq 5N will cost me a maximum additional £67 a month.

Who wouldn't? LOL
Conveniently we have a review on the EX30 coming out next Thursday. But without giving too much away, you've made the right choice 🫢