ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New key needed and car doesn't start.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Save me making two threads im going to combine both my queries in one.

A few weeks ago i did this (I cant even remember how :eek:)

15073152116_9560be17c8_c.jpg

Anyway since that has happened every now and again my car seems to fail to start and comes up with the red dot constantly flashing up on the dash, however its happened a hell of a lot over this weekend. I've been twisting the ignition on and off until the light goes off then starting it up but today it just gave up and doesn't want to start at all. Thread searching seems to point to the immobiliser. However, i know i need a new key which will be bought asap, but is this causing the car to not start?

The car cranks over no problem, just doesn't fire up.

Would a new key resolve this issue?

I have a spare key but the same happens. It also doesn't do the central locking, but being a spare this has never concerned me, but thought i'd add it just in case.

Also, where do i get a new key from? Local dealers?

Thanks, Mark.

CursedTitanium 182FF
I have a spare case you can have, but you may have damaged the circuit board. Take the key apart and check the pcb, see if it can be fixed with a bit of carefully applied solder.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Ultimately I will need a new key anyway so I'm going to enquire how much a new will be.

I'm also reading lambda sensors can also cause an issue, on which both of mine are out I tho k so I shall replace these also. I have a mutual friend that can get the key coded so there's a saving there.

PH2 172
Ultimately I will need a new key anyway so I'm going to enquire how much a new will be.

I'm also reading lambda sensors can also cause an issue, on which both of mine are out I tho k so I shall replace these also. I have a mutual friend that can get the key coded so there's a saving there.

Hi Mark,there is a guy on here in Hitchin,has just posted breaking phase 1,user name BEALEHERE,wants £100 for Ecu,keys,barrel,UCH,will probably also have sensors,or sell cat complete.
I was quoted £120 for a spare key.Hope you get it sorted ,Steve

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Or

Buy virgin key off eBay £20
Put blade in it £0
Have a garage programme to your car £25 to £50 depending on garage.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I'm now thinking it's not key related, although I will get one.

It just seems odd that both my keys won't start the ignition and my dash has the same continuous flashing red dot when both are turned. I'm pretty sure that my spare has started the car before.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
My car now starts! One of our painter guy's brother took the spare key to he's work and got the info out of the chip and fixed the problem. Not sure how but it works!

He said to get a gen replacement not eBay jobbies and he'll reprogram it for me as mine doesn't do central locking. Happy days. A quote from Renault was £153 Inc vat and a week to come in as there ordered from France.

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
Don't go changing the ecu and key set. It causes more issues than it's worth in the future.

ph1 keys come pre-coded from Renault now, complete with blade @ ~£130.

Just off the phone to my local dealership, they have quoted me £96 for a new "plip" however they then said I'll be an additional £50 for the plip to be coded to the car
I mentioned that they come precoded for the ph1 and he assured me that they only come partially coded but then must be programmed to the ECU. Is that correct?

It certainly didn't happen the last time I ordered a key, it came straight out of the bag and worked first time

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
think i'm going to try the guy on ebay

it doesnt actually sound like a replacement, more of a repair to the key itself
I've got 1 key which won't unlock the car but works perfectly in the ignition (lock are siezed due to lack of use)

and another key which unlocks and starts the car however every noe and again it doesnt disengage the immobiliser. had this issue before and after a while it just bit the dust and left me stranded lol