ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie to photography

Range Rover sport
Hey guys ,
I'm new to all this photography stuff and i haven't really got a clue about camera's but i want to start learning.

Selling the car at the moment and haven't got any half decent pictures so thought why not buy a new camera and start up photography, not going for anything top of the range just something for beginners so i can start learning.

Have heard some terms that sound interesting ;) like using different 'shutter speeds' etc..

I really like the effect of a moving car as some cs members have demonstrated with their skills.

Been having a look round in a few camera shops in town after work and one has caught my eye and its not expensive, thought you guys could tell me if its any good , if i should buy it and will i get any good moving photos , night shots out of it.

Here's a some pictures:

fuji-s1500-b.jpg

If you want to take some good panning shots (where the car looks like it's moving) then you really have to get an SLR.

I haven't used a camera like that Fuji for a very long time, but it was hopeless at taking moving action shots, they are just too slow.

Also, if you really want to become a little more serious, then get an SLR - more expensive but worth it as you can get different lenses etc

Range Rover sport
Ahh right well its the cheapest one i could find tbh it's and SR ?? whatever that is I'm really hopeless at this sort of stuff.

How about night shots? would it be any good for any sort of photos ?

Also you said something about interchangeable lenses can you not change the lens on that sort of camera ?

Ian

Focus TDCi
I had a similar camera, they're actually ok - but tbh you've picked out the two weakest areas. They are slow and don't handle high ISO well. If you use a low ISO and a tripod at night it might be ok, I'm not sure. No you cannot change lenses on that.

I'd be looking to pick up a secondhand SLR though in all honesty.

Range Rover sport
ISO whats that mate.. what type of SLR should i be looking for ? This month only really have around £200 odd to spend , that fuji one is £169.99 .

Could always upgrader in the future i just dont want to spend 500 + on something im not really sure of how to use, I mean only only 19 might have a good job for my age:rasp: but still £200+ is quite alot of money to me.

That camera is the fujifilm finepix s1500 just incase anyone has any knowlage about it?

All i know is it has:

10MP
12X ZOOM
TRACKING AUTO FOCUS
SR - AUTO
ISO INTENSITY 6400

Ian

Focus TDCi
I really don't know all that much about SLRs other my own if I'm honest. I tend to pay more attention to lenses.

I know you can pick up a Nikon D40 and kit lens for around £200. There's also the Nikon D70, Canon 300d, 350d, maybe a Canon 10D or something. I can't vouch for any of them though, you'll need to do your research.

ISO is the sensors sensitivity to light. If you look at the top of this section there are a few guides worth reading. If you're looking for something that can do most things fairly well then a bridge camera like the Fuji may well do for you. If you're looking to get into it more then I'd definitely consider an SLR.

Range Rover sport
Ok thanks very much mate been a great help , is it just ebay i should be looking at then ? or is there some other website i should be checking

Range Rover sport
Ok so over the last half an hour or so i have done a little bit of research into the nikon d50 SLR, have seen a few second hand on ebay and on amazon..

around 150-200

But reading the information it says its a 6MP camera?? the fuji one is 10 ? what makes this d50 so much more better ?

Sorry if its a silly question.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Struggling to find the info here but I think I'm right in saying:

Nikon d50 sensor size: 23.7 x 15.5 mm, 3.67cm²
Fuji S1500 sensor size: 6.16 x 4.62 mm, 0.28 cm²

Once you get to 6Mp, then at standard web / printing size you won't really see a difference in quality, it's mainly a marketing ploy. If you're blowing up images for posters, or cropping them heavily then yeah, you'll need more pixels. Take the Canon 1D for example. That used to be Canon's top of the range camera and it's only got 4.15Mpx. Ok so it's 8 years old and has been superseded 3 times but still..!

Sensor size and other factors are more important. :)

Oh and in terms of looking for cameras: ebay, amazon, http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk, talk photography forums, 'other' for sale section on here. Anywhere really, just make sure they're reputable.

Last edited:
  Mk2 ph1 clio
+1 Ian.

The megapixels don't matter too much in terms of quality, its the glass you put on the body that matters.

As said the canon 1D is 4mp but has produced world class images for years. The 1D Mark 2 is 8mp and the Mark 3 is 10mp and there classed as flagship cameras!

You may find a canon 20D with a kit lens for £200. I may be tempted to sell mine sometime in the near future and thats the price I'd be putting it up for.

www.mpbphotographic.co.uk is a very good site for cheap SLR's and lenses (for canon and nikon anyway!)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I was in the same position as you when i got my bridge (Fuji S5800) about 18 months ago. I considered a D-SLR but couldn't justify the cash and knew I'd probably get bored after 3 months anyway :evil:

I loved the little Fuji and it was perfect for me for holiday trip, which is why i bought it. It blew my friend's very expensive compact out the water...!

I bought mine for ~90 and got 9 months use out of it before selling for 60 to a friend after i bought my Canon 450d .. and I haven't looked back :cool:

The tutorials on this photography forum are brilliant for newbies like yourself. I read them over and over when I got my Canon ! Another good site is Digital Photography School or if you google photography forums, I'm sure there are plenty of big and small ones to choose from.

As mentioned before, that camera will be ok for general pictures, but they will be too slow for moving/panning shots.

Definitely do a little more research before you decide on a bridge or an SLR and hopefully you won't regret your decision, which ever one you make ;)

As above, ignore the megapixel differences. The SLRs have a much bigger sensor in size, so the image quality is much better even at lower MP. And as a result they are much better at higher ISO.

I think second hand SLR is your best bet :)

Range Rover sport
Right guys i looked on ebay and other places to buy camera last night and found a few , stayed online till about 2 am looking for one lmao, but they where all going too expensive.. Soo this afternoon took an hour off work and went to the camera shop in town , purchased a fuji camera but not the same one as i was asking about, had a go with a few camera in the shop before i desided and ive taken a few shots at home and its great :D going to try some pictures later on tonight , if there any good i ll post some up

Range Rover sport
Thanks mate , just trying to get all the settings right at the moment and get a good picture id say at the moment its 1/30 pictures are coming out ok lol

Range Rover sport
I was in the same position as you when i got my bridge (Fuji S5800) about 18 months ago. I considered a D-SLR but couldn't justify the cash and knew I'd probably get bored after 3 months anyway :evil:

;)

True mate :( had one night out last night trying to get some good photo s and it just wasn't happening for me , think I've been too impatient , if i can i might take it back and exchange it for an SLR

Range Rover sport
It was in a well light underground area mate and seriously it wasnt good, had better pictures off my mobile.

I can upload one to show you if it helps :D

Thinking about going back today and getting the Nikon D40 ?? its only an extra £80 so not that bad?

What do you think?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks like it was nudged when taking the shot ... tripod and 2 or 10 sec timer would have resolved that :)

I don't know anything about Nikons :rasp:

Range Rover sport
LOL..

You have upgraded from the fuji though right :D ?? much better or ...
the only thing thats putting me off the camera i purchased yesterday is the fact seriously i took a few on my fone and they came out just the same.

For an extra £80 is it worth getting an SLR ?? or will my pictures come out just the same

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Ha

a 'decent' night shot with my Fuji (no tripod)

DSCF0912.png

One of my average night shots with the 450d

3538325145_4e148dd663_b.jpg

Here is my picasa account with photos from the Fuji.. and my Flickr for the Canon.

You decide :cool:

Don't get me wrong .. the Fuji is a great all rounder, but the SLR opens up so many possibilities ! Super fast lenses, macro lenses, super-zoom lenses, fish eye lenses, wide angle lenses....

Don't be fooled tho .. you can't have it all for £300 ;) I've got a very modest low end camera (450d) and 3 extra lenses (a wide angle 10-20, 50mm F1.8 and a canon 55-250mm) .. and that together is probably ~£1500.

Range Rover sport
Thanks mate i've exchanged it and payed more got and olympus e-420 SLR was a little over £350 lol did say £200 budged but what the heck couldnt find a good one for that price.

All i need to know now is how to take a good photo?

I do fancy going out later on to see if i can get any good photo's of the traffic? moving light etc? how would i go about doing that?