ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nice day for a drive in the Elf

Had to move the old Riley Elf out of the drive this morning, so thought that I would take it for a quick blast in the New Forest. Still scouting for locations for a possible feature in Miniworld so thought that I would try somewhere in the Forest. Quite happy with the result, if only I had cleaned it and replaced the torn whitewall.

elf001.gif

elf003.gif

elf006.gif

elf007.gif

elf008.gif

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
KJust out of interest, what enjoyment do you get out of a car like that? Its not a drivers car, its not a supercar, its not exactly sexual.

Not being rude (i'm not, honestly) but I fail to see the reasoning behind keeping cars like these.

haha, i saw you today in the forest about 1pm!?

if not, there was another Riley Elf in the same colour, in the New Forest today! lol

KJust out of interest, what enjoyment do you get out of a car like that? Its not a drivers car, its not a supercar, its not exactly sexual.

Not being rude (i'm not, honestly) but I fail to see the reasoning behind keeping cars like these.

The first car I ever owned was a Riley Elf and I was in a position in life to want a project to do with my son. He was into Minis and had a custom Mini and I got offered this car. We have had a great deal of fun rebuilding it and fixing it when necessary. Attending meetings and being a member of a local mini club. I have enjoyed modifying it but keeping it to as near to the 60s parts as possible.

The enjoyment is keeping a 40 year old car on the road, being part of preserving our motoring heritage and enjoying the whole Mini Scene.

It may not be sexual to you, but I draw far more looks in this than in my Clio. More people ask me about the car when I park it up somewhere than I've ever had in my Clio. So if these aren't enough reasons for you, the important one is the two fingers to the Chancellor as it is free to tax.

Sorry for the rant but we all can't afford Ferraris or exotic sports cars as a weekend runabout. The Clio is mt everyday fun car and this is my weekend take it easy and chill car.

titanium 182,
very nice indeed. funny as i spotted a black elf today around horsham area nice to see them on the road still, nearly bought a wolsely hornet a year or so ago of e bay but just didnt have anywere to keep it usual storry lol, if you have driven a mini or any of its siblings you no there a great drivers car especially for 40 years old :cool:

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely looking Elf, and love the way you've sympathetically modded it with some nice period touches... Very nice!
Out of interest, what sort of spec is it mechanically - fairly standard? (actually, is that an RC40-type exhaust I see poking out the back - so I guess you've got a stage 1 kit at least?)

I've spent a portion of the day rebuilding the head on my mini (which started life as an '85 City E) - which I thought was suffering a stuck valve (in minisport stage 3 head, that's only run for about 2 hours, but has stood for far too long!)... Turned out it was fine, but at least I've checked it over...
I started work on mine in 1993, and it still isn't quite finished - I've set myself the goal of driving it to the Gaydon mini show in July, so need to get cracking and get it on the road!

Nice to see such a well kept classic - and I'll keep a look out for it in miniworld!

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

The first car I ever owned was a Riley Elf and I was in a position in life to want a project to do with my son. He was into Minis and had a custom Mini and I got offered this car. We have had a great deal of fun rebuilding it and fixing it when necessary. Attending meetings and being a member of a local mini club. I have enjoyed modifying it but keeping it to as near to the 60s parts as possible.

The enjoyment is keeping a 40 year old car on the road, being part of preserving our motoring heritage and enjoying the whole Mini Scene.

It may not be sexual to you, but I draw far more looks in this than in my Clio. More people ask me about the car when I park it up somewhere than I've ever had in my Clio. So if these aren't enough reasons for you, the important one is the two fingers to the Chancellor as it is free to tax.

Sorry for the rant but we all can't afford Ferraris or exotic sports cars as a weekend runabout. The Clio is mt everyday fun car and this is my weekend take it easy and chill car.

Like i said dude, not wanting to upset you, just don't understand that sort of thing.
Fair play to you if thats what you enjoy.

I hope to be able to do something similar with my son when he's old enough!!

It's had a few subtle mods, still the original 998 block, a Harris Motorsport head, LCB manifold, maniflow inlet manifold, twin 1 and a quarter inch SU carbs, Simota cone air filters, custom made stainless centre pipe and the RC40 exhaust. Lovely when it's running right but a bugger when it's not. Looking at electronic injection and a new dizzy next.

I've had the car for four years now and bought it as partially restored. Since I've had it I have virtually repaced the electrics, fuel system and rebuilt the rear end after it was run into by some idiot driving whilst on their mobile phone.

Thank God for Ebay and a healthy Mini spares Industry. Still some items looking to replace and will always think that something else needs doing.

browno

ClioSport Club Member
It's had a few subtle mods, still the original 998 block, a Harris Motorsport head, LCB manifold, maniflow inlet manifold, twin 1 and a quarter inch SU carbs, Simota cone air filters, custom made stainless centre pipe and the RC40 exhaust. Lovely when it's running right but a bugger when it's not. Looking at electronic injection and a new dizzy next.

I've had the car for four years now and bought it as partially restored. Since I've had it I have virtually repaced the electrics, fuel system and rebuilt the rear end after it was run into by some idiot driving whilst on their mobile phone.

Thank God for Ebay and a healthy Mini spares Industry. Still some items looking to replace and will always think that something else needs doing.

Sounds a similar spec to mine - I've got the original 998 A+, but with a Stage 1 kit, stage 3 head, fast road/rally cam (all from minisport) and is fed through a single 1 3/4 HIF44 SU - it sounds great when it's running (which hopefully it will be again by the end of the week!). Funny you should say about electronic ignition - I was just thinking earlier that I could do with converting mine too...

I know what you mean about the mini spares industry - you can get any variation of any part that you can think of... Not all that many 40+ year old motors that have that kind of range of availability! Hopefully that'll help me get mine on the road soon!