ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nice Techy BT HH and Cat5 Cable Question

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
so my setup is, BT HH5 in the house where the phone line comes in and provides internet to the house.

I then plug a cat5 into one of the ports on the back and have that ran into my workshop in the garden, the other end then plugs into a BT HH$ and provides my workshop with internet.

simple and works fine.

I want to add cctv to my garage and record off a computer in the house, so I want to separate out the 4 wires in the cat5 cable that the HH doesn't use. so I purchased some of these to separate out the wires

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190920000546?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

what coloured wires are what anyone know?

using google, I took OW to pin 1, O to pin2, GO to 3 and G to pin 6. but that didn't work no internet in the garage

what am I doing wrong?

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Why don't you buy an IP camera and save all this hassle?

Do you need to split the cat 5?

1 OW TX+
2 O TX-
3 GW RX+
4 B GND
5 BW GND
6 G RX-
7 BW POWER
8 B POWER

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Why don't you buy an IP camera and save all this hassle?

Do you need to split the cat 5?

1 OW TX+
2 O TX-
3 GW RX+
4 B GND
5 BW GND
6 G RX-
7 BW POWER
8 B POWER

I have an ip camera, its what I'm trying to wire in.

so are you saying the HH5 uses all 8 pins?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
um ill have to go back and check the connections as I just tired that and did work

but the cctv computer in the house is stand alone and not connected to the internet or either HH. hence why I wanted to separate out.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
um ill have to go back and check the connections as I just tired that and did work

but the cctv computer in the house is stand alone and not connected to the internet or either HH. hence why I wanted to separate out.

Right, got you. Now it makes sense.

So yes, 4,5,7,8 are your pairs to use. Don't plug the camera into the HH.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
4,5,7,8 to use for ip camera?

ill have to double check the wiring again in the garage as I had no internet

many thnaks