ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nifty Fifty, wont AF on my camara an issue?

172 and vw passat
Im was thinking about buying: Nikon 50mm F1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for my D3000 and this lens wont auto focus as its not AF-S.

Is this a big problem? since you can do it manually or do you think i should put in an extra £100 for the AF-S one?
[h=1][/h]

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If you have to make this choice every time you get a lens, and plan on getting a few, have you thought of upgrading the body to an AF one?

172 and vw passat
Not thought of upgrading the body as of yet, but wouldn't the af-s lens's work with a AF body as well if i upgraded later?

172 and vw passat
Just heard so many good reviews for the fifty and its cheap so thought may aswell go for it.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
it is one of the sharpest lensens around, image quality uncomparable with a zoom.
What will you use it for?
That should determine the focal length you need.
If you are looking for a 50mm in the classic sense of having a standard lens get the 35mm, it with the nikon crop factor it comes out as 52.5 mm (so it is a 35 with the viewing angle of a 50)
if you are looking for a short tele lens, get the 50 it converts to 75mm on your DX camera and will be very nice for portraits and such.

172 and vw passat
Well I was going to ask for the 35mm 1.8 Af-s for my birthday just thought I would get this to play about since I'm getteing board of the kit lens.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Not thought of upgrading the body as of yet, but wouldn't the af-s lens's work with a AF body as well if i upgraded later?

Yep, but i mean if you pay an extra £100 here for an afs lens, and another £150 there it soon mounts up and you might swell of bought a better body at the start.

I don't know if not having an AF motor is beneficial in any way but to me it just seems cheap of them.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
I manual focus on a couple of len's and it doesnt really grate on me too much.

It depends heavily on what your shooting tbh honest. If you are the type of person to take calculated shots with a good hit rate manual focus is fine.