ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D3300 - Iceland

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Hi Everyone,

I'm off to Iceland in December and I'm about to buy a Nikon D3300 to take with me as I suspect I'll get some absolutely amazing photo opportunities while I'm there.
I know very little about cameras but I'd also like to get your opinions on what additional lenses I should take with me and why?

Does anyone have this camera and use lenses other than the 18-55mm VR II?

Thanks,
STRBramley

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Regardless of camera, you'll want a wide angle lens.
Something like a Sigma 10-20. A tripod and a shutter release ideally, although the release isn't essential, it is handy.
Are you set on the Nikon? I'm not sure on their lenses and the autofocus system, iirc some of the cheaper models don't/didn't work with auro focus unless they had a specific lebs? Might have changed now though.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Regardless of camera, you'll want a wide angle lens.
Something like a Sigma 10-20. A tripod and a shutter release ideally, although the release isn't essential, it is handy.
Are you set on the Nikon? I'm not sure on their lenses and the autofocus system, iirc some of the cheaper models don't/didn't work with auro focus unless they had a specific lebs? Might have changed now though.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, would a Sigma 10-20 fit the D3300?
I'm not set on the Nikon, I'm happy to go with any other recommendations people throw out.

Thanks,
STRBramley

Clio 182 Track Car
The alternative to Nikon is Canon but the choice is yours, they will both capture whatever you point them at. Once you commit to either brand and purchase additional kit like lenses or flash lights, your want to stay with that make as most of the kit is not interchangeable.
Its like apple and android products really, different user interfaces but achieve the same thing

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, would a Sigma 10-20 fit the D3300?
I'm not set on the Nikon, I'm happy to go with any other recommendations people throw out.

Thanks,
STRBramley

Yes, the Sigma is for a crop body. As long as you make sure you buy the Nikon fitting it should work OK I think.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3

I'd love to go to Iceland, one of my dream places to go. Have a look at the videos for info, top bloke too. Be careful on not getting the camera misted up and to take a very sturdy tripod as it could be very very windy, it's a very unpredictable place to go.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Thanks for all the advise everyone. Them videos were also really useful. I'm going to watch a few more of his videos.

I was looking at the Sigma 10-20mm lens on eBay. Is it really £300? That's more than the camera.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
They go for between 200-350 all depending where from (for a canon fit one anyway)
Maybe Nikon do one of similar focal length but I don't imagine it'll be cheaper than the Sigma and probably not much better.
You could always try a fisheye. Might be too late before your trip as some come from the states but you can get a samyang /opteka one, fully manual though, for £200 or under. They are usually 6.5/8mm though.
Eg.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polaroid-Ul...sheye-Lens-For-Nikon-/262147027256?nav=SEARCH

There is someone on talk photography who recently went to iceland and took 90% of their shots using a 35mm. Some stunning images!

Edit - it was full frame though so thats not much use to you!

Last edited:

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Would something like this be good value for money or will most of the items be junk?

or even this?

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't read the op properly. Didn't realise you didn't have the camera yet.
The two you posted, most of the kit will be cheap, the filters, tripod etc. Not sure on the lenses, but the widest will be 18mm on the kit lens.
Is there no local camera shop? Maybe nip there and have a look at some second hand cameras and lenses.
I'm honestly not the man to ask regarding Nikon as I don't really know the model numbers.

I'm selling my Canon 550d with two lenses, one 10-20 and a 16mm fisheye, with 3 batteries, intervalometer, cable release, small bag and a filter set for the 10-20.
I've yet to make a for sale thread yet but I'll make one later once I've got shots of everything.

Edit. The wide angle adaptors you get in those kits are terrible.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I didn't read the op properly. Didn't realise you didn't have the camera yet.
The two you posted, most of the kit will be cheap, the filters, tripod etc. Not sure on the lenses, but the widest will be 18mm on the kit lens.
Is there no local camera shop? Maybe nip there and have a look at some second hand cameras and lenses.
I'm honestly not the man to ask regarding Nikon as I don't really know the model numbers.

I'm selling my Canon 550d with two lenses, one 10-20 and a 16mm fisheye, with 3 batteries, intervalometer, cable release, small bag and a filter set for the 10-20.
I've yet to make a for sale thread yet but I'll make one later once I've got shots of everything.

Edit. The wide angle adaptors you get in those kits are terrible.
What kind of money is that going to be bud?

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Would the 18mm of the standard 18-55 lens with the D3300 be considered wide angle? If so couldn't this be used with a wide angle adaptor to get that extra angle?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't consider it wide as it will be more like 27mm taking crop factor in. But people have got some decent shots using it. Have a look on Flickr at it, you can lens search still I think.

Honestly, I'd sack any ideas of using a wide angle adapter. The image quality will degrade with one on and you will more than likely get horrible vignetting around the edges of the image.

If you don't fancy buying a new lens, then the kit will do the job, you might just have to stitch a few images together if you can't fit the shot in one frame.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
If you go for the Nikon I have the sigma 10-20 that I've been thinking about selling mate.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Would this lens fit to the Nikon D3300 with this adaptor? I bought the D3300 last night but would really like the Sigma 10-20.
Short answer - No.
Reading the description, it says you Autofocus won't work, and you won't be able to focus to infinity (which is what you will need for shooting Iceland - I assume it's the Northern lights/ night stuff you want?)

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Short answer - No.
Reading the description, it says you Autofocus won't work, and you won't be able to focus to infinity (which is what you will need for shooting Iceland - I assume it's the Northern lights/ night stuff you want?)
Thanks for the reply. Well it's mainly for scenery/northern lights. I think I'm just going to have to fork out for this maybe. I assume this will fit the D3300? Sorry for all the questions but I'm really out of my depth with this at the minute.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yup, that should fit.
Make sure you get a tripod too and a remote shutter (not essential but very handy).
Not sure if you have a tripod or not but the Hama traveller is ideal for going away with. It has a hook on the middle post incase you need to hook your bag onto it to weigh it down. Looks like it's gone up in price and Tesco don't do it anymore though but can be had elsewhere for under £50.

This one looks OK for the money though.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Q-555-Por...311421?hash=item5d5d01187d:g:vkYAAOSwQPlV7-in

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Yep highly rate the Nikon d3300. Better sensor with greater dynamic range than the equivalent canon. Thus great setup for what you have in mind. Good price too.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Just thought I'd do a small update. I got back from Iceland a few weeks ago and it was incredible!
I'd love to go back again in the summer or when it's clearer. We had 100% cloud cover for the whole time we was there so the sky was a fairly dull aspect of the photos.

Anyway, below are a handful of my favorite photos from the trip. Critique away, I know there's massive room for improvement.

23828212139_0a31545380_c.jpg
Iceland by Sonny Bramley, on Flickr

24087991392_1c54be2eb9_c.jpg

23900429660_d9534ce87e_c.jpg

24196033425_8f9fa44cf8_c.jpg

24196040705_bb3833f5c3_c.jpg

23900449510_ddd0b114c5_c.jpg

24169969206_acd6decd06_c.jpg

24113402451_ca6ed156db_c.jpg

23569204513_15a0ffe029_c.jpg

23900408160_75b6ed9017_c.jpg

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice set. Shame about the cloud cover though but it works in favour in some of the images.
The one with the bottle, I'd have left a bit more room at the bottom if I'm being picky. Other than that, a cracking set.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
wow, love them pictures bud. :grinning:

Very nice set. Shame about the cloud cover though but it works in favour in some of the images.
The one with the bottle, I'd have left a bit more room at the bottom if I'm being picky. Other than that, a cracking set.

Thanks both :grinning:

I agree 100% with the bottle picture. Wish I'd of noticed at the time.