ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon Owners - which flash?

I currently have an SB-400 but considering the SB-600 as the 400 has its limitations. Plus the SB-600 matches your zoom level.

Anyone got or used the SB-600??

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
why not go 800?? or even the new 900??

i have 3 800's and they are really good just a c**t to use... the 900 looks the b****cks though and has fixed all the annoying problems

just had a quick look and the 800 seems to be about 30-40 quid more than 600 the 900 is about 120 more...

Rally bus
SB600 is good, the only problem I've had is that it isn't really powerful enough for some of the uses I have but for normal use it should be fine. The other disadvantage over the SB800 is that I don't think the 600 can be used as a master flash if you're planning on eventually doing multi-flash shoots.

I don't think the 600 comes with a diffuser so consider getting one of those too.

M135i
I've just bought a 600 off amazon for 120ish quid with a diffuser. Havnt really used it much yet but from when I have been using it its been really good.

Suzuki Ignis
What camera have you got?
If you have a D50 then go for the sb800 as you can the put it in SU4 mode and trigger it wirelessly.Or get the SB600 and a set of ebay triggers.
But if you have a D80/D200 then whatever you can afford as those two camera have CLS built in.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Does the SB-600 work with the D40?

What advantages does it have over the SB-400?

Thanks

I tried out the SB-600 and decided on keeping the 400.

SB-600 is more powerful, more on flash adjustments such as zoom etc, its head can be tilted as well as bounced. Its fairly bulky on the D40 but usable.

I still use the SB-400 and its good enough for my needs, small, light, powerful enough and does bounce, together with an omnibounce its a great bit of kit for a casual or occasional flash user like myself!!

Ive got the SB-800. Tbh, I cant remember what the main differences were between the 600 and 800 (apart from the price!)

The 800 is great though, cant fault it!

"Navy" N17 TWO
SB-400 seems like the best VFM option then :)

I don't get all this "zoom" and "trigger" business for a flash :S then again I haven't used one yet

Rally bus
Tbh, I cant remember what the main differences were between the 600 and 800 (apart from the price!)

The 800 is great though, cant fault it!

More powerful, can be used as a master flash to control remotes, does strobe flash, built-in bounce card and a few other bits.

I use both for motorsport/portraiture, a 600 is fine on it's own for general use.

Sb-400, 600 & 800 are all good choices.... depending on your needs!

A lot of people may opt for a 600 or 800 and a 400 for times when wanting to go light.

How often will you be using it and what for?

"Navy" N17 TWO
I find myself needing the flash a lot for portraits, indoor shots & some snaps of the car.
I get a lot of "subject is too dark - use the flash!"

When I put the flash on the photo comes out either too bright or with unwanted shadows all over the place :S

Anyway the standard flash and a massive aftermarket lens aren't a good combo - the flash casts a shaddow as it bounces off the lens