ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noob question regarding iMacs....

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Ok well I'm absolutely useless with tech and what it all really means.

I've just split with the Missus and will be looking to move into my own place soon and need a comp as our laptop is hers (Compaq something or other)

Now i've been looking on the Apple site and really really want an iMac.

Is the cheapest £999 iMac 21.5" yada yada yada going to be more than enough for someone like me who only really uses a computer for internet browsing and iTunes and very little else.

Are there any must have options or will the basic £999 with some warranty be all that I would need?

Cheers
Andy.

If you buy the 21.5" it'll be fine for general use. But one night you'll be struggling to sleep. There's a knot in your stomach and you can't work out why. Sweaty palms and now you're thinking about calling an ambulance. Then it hits you *BAM* the cause of your distress and the worry.. You bought the iMac Nano.

27" FTW!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I knew I'd get that response off someone...... My current TV is only 37" and want a new one of them too so I think the comp would have to sacrifice a few inches so I can add a few too the tv.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The i3 is dual core and the i5 and i7 are quad core. For your usage the i3 will be ok.

Apple's description:
All iMac models now include processors from the blazing-fast Intel Core series, featuring an advanced processor architecture that helps set new performance benchmarks for iMac. The 21.5-inch models and one 27-inch model come standard with a dual-core Intel Core i3 processor starting at 3.06GHz. For even more performance, choose the top-of-the-line 27-inch iMac with a quad-core Intel Core i5 at 2.8GHz or optional Intel Core i7 at 2.93GHz. Four cores make just about everything you do faster: managing your photos, editing HD video, even playing graphics-intensive 3D games. And since Mac OS X Snow Leopard is designed to take full advantage of Intel dual- and quad-core architectures, you get the fastest performance possible.

DB.

BMW 440i
Yes, the 21 inch will be fine, it's only the high rollers that get the 27" lol

Im looking to roll high come July/August.

DB.

BMW 440i
Yes, the 21 inch will be fine, it's only the high rollers that get the 27" lol

Im looking to roll high come July/August.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The i3 is dual core and the i5 and i7 are quad core. For your usage the i3 will be ok.

But not all i5s are quad core, my 2010 MBP wasn't and it made a bid difference jumping to i7 quad core from it.

Buy the basic 27" IMO, great spec for the money compared to last years prices.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
iMac FTW !

I've bought both my iMac and MacBook through Apple's refurb store.

2008 2.66GHz iMac still running fast as day one. Not much baffles it unless there's a lot going on (like I've got iTunes on, internet, downloading stuff, and importing 200 20MB RAW photos)... it might show a SPOD for a few seconds if it's busy.

Other than that, its great !

An i3 iMac will be plentiful for your needs for a while ;)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I'll have to see what space I have once I've found a place to live and just how much spare cash I have.

Cheers for the info so far :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
iMac nano. :dapprove:

Anything less than a 27" i7 is peasant material.

I think I'm going i5 :(

Its the quad core that matters most really imo

Just a thought, as the new imac has 2 thunderbolt ports, could I attach my TV to it by HDMI and then my MBP to the other one and run 3 displays from my MBP?

Last edited:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Quick question as on my phone so can't really find the info.

What sort of finance deals do Apple do or would I be best sticking it on a credit card?
Not fussed either way as long as it's 0% obviously.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't think Apple did finance? Only educational financing?

Last edited:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
As said can always just stick it on a card if not as my cards are clear at the moment :)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Popped into the Apple store earlier and my god the 27" just seems ridiculous but obviously as with everything you get used to it and suddenly it would seem normal.

The biggest comp screen I've used is a 19" so even the 21.5" seem big to me.

Think I'll just have to wait and see where I end up living 1st although I was sorely tempted to walk out the store with the 27" today.