ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not getting paid for taking photos - advice

RIP Dan
To steal a thread title;)

Wife and her freind are launching a fitness based business next year.

I am building their website, we need pics.

We have thought of what we want etc and are doing a "photoshoot":eek: tomorrow.

No they are not naked and no you cant have pics...now thats out of the way..

Any tips? I am doing some "action" shots of them running, maybe boxing and doing weights. Also some casual looking portrait shots from the shoulders up for the about me section of the site.

To be honest I have no idea about lighting etc, but its supposed to nice and sunny here tomorrow for the outside shots.

Any advice appreciated.

vers le haut doigt milieu
what are your ideas? and do u have any lights or a budget for lights?

A nice prime lens will get you good DOF, anything F2.8 or below.

Whats your gear gear at the moment?

RIP Dan
No lights, no budget for lights....I suppose I need lights then do I? Anything I can cobble together?

I only have an old Canon 300D with the standard lens:eek:

Its going to be cr@p isnt it?:dapprove:

Ideas wise, need some shots of them running....I live in Jersey so we do have some stunning backdrops all within 20 minutes of my house tbh, cliffs, sea, woods etc.

Static pics of them weight training and the portrait shots really, could use the local gym for the weights shots. Portraits?? dunno what background to use. But want it casual and not school like;)

ok, as most our outside it shouldn't be too hard. try to get the runner to run at half speed but using full body motion, that way you can decrease the shutter and increase the aperture (by closeing the iris) to allow less light into the camera to increase dof without the movement of the runner being blurred.

For the static shots of weight training do the opposite, if you don't want it to look like a school shot then decrease the dof by opening the iris and increasing the shutter this will make the background slightly blurred so u cannot tell which gym it is with the subject being in perfect focus.

hth..

if the shutter is high and the iris is open then u shouldnt need a tripod inside. but good point do u have one? it always helps.

I think he might, the kit lens is not very fast, all depends on how well lit it is indoors I guess!!!

U know the lens better then me, I'm just generalising and the perfect exposure isn't as just ever as simple as what I said, but the advice given is just. I could ask the exact kit spec but it would be pointless as the advice would be use a tripod if u have one and try many combos until the perfect exposure is visible, if not u may be able to get away without it but all we can do both do without seeing the location is guess. good luck tomorrow Bully

I have used the 300D for indoor shots under medium - poor lighting and had to push the iso up to 800 to get acceptable results. To be honest, if you wanting this site to look pro, then the pics need to be up to scratch!!

I think standard kit lens and indoor action shots just wont work, but hopefully I am wrong!

RIP Dan
I have got a tripod, but I have no idea about the settings...I just use it on the green "do all" setting:eek:

Any quick lessons on how to set up what you said above?

Talk to me as if I am a 3 year old as I am a bit of a tard at this tbh..

Lighting inside is 2 flourescents and alot of natural light in the mornings...I can open double doors to let more in...

It doesnt need to be pro quality just as good as I can do it with the equipment I have, and budget of course...ie none.

I do also have a sigma 55-300mm lens...will that help??

Last edited:
  GW RS200
Call me a defeatist but if all else fails just go to istockphoto and for a couple of dollars a photo you can get stuff that you could never hope to achieve with no budget :D