ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NTL cable broadband help needed

Weeman sucks ****
I'm moving to a new place soon and they have NTL cable with just one PC going into the NTL box.

I'll be living upstairs, have a powerbook and PS3 and need to get wireless setup.

I've been looking at something like this - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/45621

Am I looking at the right product for the job? I'm guessing I just plug it into the NTL router, do I need to configure my mates PC to the new wireless device?

172 A Cupwork Orange™
yeh your looking at the right thing, you could do it a couple of ways that are easy, router replaces ur cable modem btw, then simply have a wireless card/ in ur powerbook, make sure u setup a key for the wireless network tho as you never know who is about :p as for ps3 if you can get wireless card go the same route best way imo

Weeman sucks ****
Not quite sure what you've said there. The powerbook and ps3 have wireless built in so why need a card?

Do I not just plug the new device into the cable modem?

172 A Cupwork Orange™
if it is just a router and not a router with yes, plug it into your existing cable modem, as for ps3,powerbook with inbuilt wireless i didint know they were inbuilt :rasp: so yes they shoud detect the wireless

Black 172...KN53EL*
As above, the network lead goes from the cable modem into the wireless router, then the current pc (which I presume doesn't have wireless) plugs into one of the LAN network ports on the back of the router

Weeman sucks ****
Yer I thought that was it. It is just a desktop PC they have plugged straight into the NTL modem. Will I need to mess around with any of their settings for the PC?

Cheers for your advice chaps :D

Black 172...KN53EL*
You shouldn't need to - just turn everything off, connect the router to the modem, then turn the modem on, wait til the sync & ready lights are solid, turn the router on, then wait a few seconds then turn the PC on.

You should then, using the main PC, go to the routers config page (it will tell you the address in the manual) and set up security - WPA/WPA 2 (not WEP!) and setup the passkey. You'll need to enter this when connecting via your wireless devices.