ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Panel removal and replacement

S13
I've been getting quotes for work to my car to remove dents etc that just seem ridiculously expensive in my opinion. I'm aware that these people are professionals and will do a good job but I just can't seem to justify the cost when I can pick up the panels concerned for peanuts.

I'd like to know how easy it is to remove panels. I need to take off the front drivers panel and the rear passenger panel. I'm guessing the rear is nigh on impossible however, but if anyone can direct me to any instructions for the removal of the front panel I'd be very greatful, if of course it's possible.

Ta,

Rob.

Punto/Clio GTT
rear quarter aint impossible, but i wouldnt attempt it with no experience or someone helpin with experience.

front wing is generally open bonnet, 10 mil bolts, drop down shitguard usually held in with plastic clips, then usually 10 mil nut inside. probably have to drop 1 side of the bumper down to access the bottom bolts. possibly 2 nuts when you open the door, youll need an extension bar for those. and maybe 1 under the scuttle. s**t design on mk 2 clios

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
But a mk2 Clio has plastic front wings so it would be almost impossible to dent it.

rear = drill out spot welds, hammer and chissel to break the panel off, decide on a point where you want to cut the quarter and only cut it off when you have seen the size of the rear quarter panel and how it comes. Some rear quarters maybe not clios neccessarily come in different sizes. You can get shorter versions of them so you don't really want to hack away loads before knowing how big your panel is going to be.

Then it's a case of grinding up, spending plenty of time lining the panel up, trying doors, tailgate on the car to ensure your gaps and lines are correct before welding it up. Spot weld the areas which obviously need spot welding and MIG the areas such as where you have made a chop and cut.

Grind the MIG welds down, filler it, block it down and your ready for primer/paint prep.

S13
So basically I'm going to have to pay to get someone else to do it lol. I might try the front wing myself, it's not dented it's cracked.

Thanks for the advice guys, bit too much for me though I think.

Rob

Depends how badly the rear quarter is damaged. If it's only slightly damaged and needs pulling out and filling then the quarter won't need replacing.

Wings are a piece of piss, anyone with a tool box can do one of those, just take time lining it up with the door and bonnet. Line it up with the door (gaps) first then work towards the bonnet side.

Again depending how badly the wing is cracked you could get it plastic welded back up, filled and re-painted without buying a new wing.

The rear quarter is definately not something i'd suggest doing without experience. You need tools such as your MIG welder, spot welder to do which most people might not have in their "tool box"!

Unless of course you just decide to bond the panels on. :)

Punto/Clio GTT
can get clio wings in lucky bags now, more efficient to just throw a new wing on than to repair it, cost less too unless its only a tiny crack

S13
I'll have a crack at the wing I think (get it -crack aha) but I'll leave the rear quarter, I seem to have misplaced my welding tools :dapprove:

Cheers for the advice guys!