ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC Chilling (laser project)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i need to cool something that generates 300w of heat, is there some kind of computer setup that might do such a thing?

i know nothing about computer chilling setups sorry.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, there should be plenty of options, the main potential difficulty is in mounting the cooler to what you want to cool and getting good thermal contact.

Is it something which could be immersed in water? Or something non-conducive like mineral oil?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Yes, there should be plenty of options, the main potential difficulty is in mounting the cooler to what you want to cool and getting good thermal contact.

Is it something which could be immersed in water? Or something non-conducive like mineral oil?
given i have a cnc mill, im hoping mounting wouldnt be an issue. i can machine what ever i need

its a laser diode so cannot get wet

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member

Yep, something along those lines should do the job just fine.

You can now get air coolers which can handle 300W loads too, but they’ll be on their limit. A decent water cooling loop should handle that load with headroom to spare.

Really it depends what your future plans are, if you think you are going to need to add more components in future then I’d go with a custom water cooling loop for the flexibility and ability to easily add more cooling in future. It will be more expensive though so if you’re just looking to try something out then an AIO is a good shout.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
It depends on the pump, you’d need to check the specific AIO. That said, you can pick up manually controlled 12v PWM signal generators for less than a tenner on eBay, or Noctua do one for about £20 if you want a trusted brand.