ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

petrol debate 95 0r 97?

clio 172
hi,

do you think it make any differents running your cliosport on the good jungle juice or not?

i really havnt noticed any different in increased mileage or smoother running

is it all in the head!!

Clio 172 MK II
I use 100 in mine, and also he is remmaped for that kind of fuel, I get 3 HP more with 100 on dyno compared to 95

artic blue 182
no point in being a tightarse there is only a few pence in it

optimax or tesco 99 is all i put in mine except in an emergency,sticker on the inside of full cap says 97 iirc on there for a reason

Of course it makes a difference.

However at it's current price I'm not that anal to not chuck the cheaper 95 in.

J

JACKO CUP 172!

i find it does not run aswell as it should will 95.bit lumpy.might just be me tho.

Monaco Blue 172
Leeshez said:
Tescos 95 for me. God im tight.
lol i draw the line at tesco tho! only in dire emergency!

at the end of the day its only going to make a difference of a few hp. hardly noticable imo. and if u drive +30k per year it sure as hell adds up!! :dapprove:

Arctic blue 182
rory182 said:
you're all a marketing mans dream

Heh heh. Well, marketing is a powerful force and there are a lot of products you can sell with style over substance. I don't shave with a Gillette M3 Power, and I don't wash my hair with an advanced blend of provitamins and glucasil. But then I don't work in marketing - I'm a chemical engineer on a petroleum refinery. And the only thing I'll put in my 182 is Optimax.

Dave

tiTTy & SV650
davebigfoot said:
Heh heh. Well, marketing is a powerful force and there are a lot of products you can sell with style over substance. I don't shave with a Gillette M3 Power, and I don't wash my hair with an advanced blend of provitamins and glucasil. But then I don't work in marketing - I'm a chemical engineer on a petroleum refinery. And the only thing I'll put in my 182 is Optimax.

Dave

optimax becuase of the cleaning additives though eh, not cause its 98ron?

Black 172
Well it says on the sticker on the fuel flap that it should be run on 98 ron so if thats what it says it should really be run on that, personally i mix the two because of fuel prices ! i always used to run it on optimax and never anything else and it does make a difference ( i get more miles to the gallon unless its just my imagination)

Black 172
I usually use Bp's super unleaded i dont use tesco or morrisons petrol ( well only if i was running out and i had to roll in to the petrol station)

tiTTy & SV650
as i always say mixing it is the worst thing you can do in terms of the ecu adjusting the timing to compensate, just gonna confuse it.

a few tanks on optimax then back to 95 ron for a few tanks if you plan to mix.

B

Brown.

optimax makes a car run a hell of a lot....makes huge difference on my dads 350z, think the bigger the engine the more you notice it

Arctic blue 182
rory182 said:
optimax becuase of the cleaning additives though eh, not cause its 98ron?

Neither. There's a lot more to fuel quality than RON and MON (schumacher's ferrari runs on 95 RON but it's nothing like what you'd buy at tesco!). The additive package in *some* manufacturers base grade fuel is plenty good enough to keep a clean engine clean (as a consumer I would not choose to put supermarket fuel in any car of mine because I don't have confidence in the off-the-shelf generic additive packages they use).
The performance edge from optimax doesn't just come from additives - it's a completely different fuel blended from higher grade components, and I think it's worth every penny. That said, I've also seen some very compelling evidence of the effectiveness of Optimax cleaning an engine that's previously been run on bog standard stuff. Take a v8 engine modified to run 4 cylinders on one fuel and 4 on another fuel simultaneously, run it with optimax on one bank and brand x on the other and then use a boroscope to inspect the condition of the engine internals. The difference in coke deposits on the valve trumpets etc is really remarkable. This isn't marketing hot air folks.

tiTTy & SV650
thats optimax, not just any 98 / 98ron then, which was my point, and what I meant when I said the additives. But you know far more about chemistry than me so I appreciate your answer and it backs up my reasoning for not paying extra for any old 98 / 99 / 100 ron, cheers!

Black 172
OK well i havnt been mixing it now i have been sticking to super unleaded :) i will remember that in future though

Maz

LY 200
pmsl .. oh the joys of peeps having different opinions.. ;).. like said it say 98 ron reccomended .. if you chose to go off that reccomendation then fine if you don't thats fine too.. simple really .. each persons choice .. :)

ant

yep.
davebigfoot said:
use a boroscope to inspect the condition of the engine internals. The difference in coke deposits on the valve trumpets etc is really remarkable.

Bet you're fun at parties! :D

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Optimax gives me an extra 7 mpg over Tesco 99, and 3-5 mpg more over BP97 etc.

I get through over a tank a week, say 70 in a year, each being about 9.5 gallons on average.

So it costs a few pence more, but I get in excess of 3,000 miles a year extra out of it.

Coupled with it's cleaning agents, I really struggle to understand why you wouldn't put it in the tank of your RenaultSport Clio, especially when Renault actually recommends you use it :S

Remind me, how much do you save by using the unbranded stuff?

tiTTy & SV650
im not saying 95 ron is better just saying that higher ron aint necessarily better, optimax is clearly the better one. ultimate tesco super, 100 ron etc etc have no advantage IMO

Monaco Blue 172
MarkCup said:

I get through over a tank a week, say 70 in a year, each being about 9.5 gallons on average.

So it costs a few pence more, but I get in excess of 3,000 miles a year extra out of it.

Coupled with it's cleaning agents, I really struggle to understand why you wouldn't put it in the tank of your RenaultSport Clio, especially when Renault actually recommends you use it :S

Remind me, how much do you save by using the unbranded stuff?
how can u expect me to do the math here when u havent either? how does ur "few pence" more equate to 3000 miles a year? i think you'll find its a fair few quid per tank, multiply that by 70 and u get quite a substantial figure! equivalent to half my insurance premium!!

besides which, i'd have to do a 30 mile round trip just to get myself some optimax. hardly economical doing that is it.

tiTTy & SV650
markcup said:

jooliona said:
how can u expect me to do the math here when u havent either? how does ur "few pence" more equate to 3000 miles a year?

thats how it equates in Marks case the mpg gives it away.

Monaco Blue 172
yes i understand where the miles come from, but i dont understand how that justifies the additional cost?

lets assume its £3 extra per tank for 70 tanks = £210 per year.
So the "extra" 3000 miles cost 7p per mile.

Is that a good deal then? I've never sat down and worked out the cost per mile normally... perhaps i should!!

Last edited:
  tiTTy & SV650
well assume 32mpg compared to 25mpg so thats the extra 7mpg...

thats 28% more economical so 70 tanks may be £210 dearer but you'd require 28% more fill ups with the less efficient fuel...

so you can have 90 fill ups at £3 more each i.e. £270 or use the optimax 70 times and pay £210 extra for the privilidge.

i.e. mark goes to the garage 28% less often and saves £60 - WINNER

but 7mpg is mahoosive and ive never seen a difference like that lol

in fact theres a flaw in my calc lol too tired but the 28% is still true!

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
OK then, I'll try again...(apologies in advance for the condescending tone but this topic does get a little tedious, and hopefully, by explaing in simple terms, people will come to appreciate that there are genuine financial benefits...unless you live miles away from your local Optimax stockist that is :( )

Lets say 5 extra miles per gallon average, and 9 gallons used per tank, so that's an extra 45 miles, per tank.

Are you still with me? Good.

70 tanks a year, with 45 miles a tank extra (see above) equals 3,150 miles extra per year on Optimax, compared with lesser fuels.

Agreed? Excellent, lets continue...

To go those extra miles, getting an average of 36 mpg out of the generic toss, you'd need to buy an additional 87 gallons of fuel (398 litres).

Any flaws so far? None that I can see...

What's the cost of Morrison slosh at the moment? £0.97 per litre? So, 398 x £0.97 = £385 would be the extra cost to me, for the extra crap fuel over a year, to go the same distance as if I'd run Optimax.

Bear with me, almost there now...

How much would I save over a year by not using Optimax? Lets say 5 pence a litre, and using my numbers above, that works out at nearly 23p a gallon (5p x 4.546 litres), for each of the 9 gallons per tank (so £2.05 per tank saved). I'd actually use 71 tanks a year to go the same distance, so I'd save £2.05 over the each of the 70 tanks of Optimax it would take each year, and the extra one tank of poop would all cost more then the Optimax.

Probably lost you by now...

So, (£2.05 x 70) + £40 for the extra tank = £180.

Hello?

I therefore spend an extra £180 a year on it, but still save £398 by using Optimax.

£218 better off a year. Thank you.

Last edited:
  Monaco Blue 172
rory182 said:
well assume 32mpg compared to 25mpg so thats the extra 7mpg...

thats 28% more economical so 70 tanks may be £210 dearer but you'd require 28% more fill ups with the less efficient fuel...

so you can have 90 fill ups at £3 more each i.e. £270 or use the optimax 70 times and pay £210 extra for the privilidge.

i.e. mark goes to the garage 28% less often and saves £60 - WINNER

but 7mpg is mahoosive and ive never seen a difference like that lol
its all relative isnt it. i average 35-40mpg as opposed to 25mpg anyway.

and mark there's no point "apologising" for the condescending tone, ur enjoying it far too much for that to be genuine ;) lol. but i thank you for taking the time to explain it properly! i guess i'll have to start travelling via amesbury twice a week!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Wish there was a way to actually prove what your saying is correct.
For instance i reset my trip comp every time i fill up and 99% of the time i get the following results:

95 Ron
Motorway driving (40 miles + and onwards) 38mpg (ish)
Town driving (short trip to the tube station 7 miles) 31mpg.

Optimax
Motorway driving (40 miles + and onwards) 38mpg (ish)
Town driving (short trip to the tube station 7 miles) 31mpg.

The way i see it your setting fire to cash regardless so use the cheaper currency to burn.