ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phone Upgrade Time

Afternoon all.

Had a browse round in 3 Mobile today at handsets as I can upgrade now. Was planning initially to just get a £10-12 a month sim-only deal for my iPhone 4 but I've always wanted a better camera so tempted to upgrade. Currently paying £37 on the 'one plan' and the new contracts are £36 so a bit of a saving there. Also up until the end of the month all the big new handsets are free when you upgrade rather than before paying an upfront cost. So again another sweetener to go for a new phone/contract. Furthermore to this I have been told when 3 gets its 4G service, as long as the phone is 4G compatible then you'll have the faster speeds but without the extra cost like EE currently offer.

Anyways, I looked at these phones below... If you could give me any bad feedback about any of the phones it would be much appreciated, as you know what the sales team are like in phone shops with not telling you of any flaws in phones...

iPhone 5
Sony Xperia Z
Samsung Galaxy S3/4 (told the S4 wasn't a lot different to the S3)
HTC One
Nokia Lumia 920

Out of all of them the Xperia caught my eye the most for some reason, although its massive, and the iPhone 5 not really impressing me as my 4 seems so similar is terms of speed, just lacking the better camera.

Cheers
​Nick

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Out of those i'd get the 5.

Its much much faster than a 4. Xperia is horrible to hold, 920 weighs 50 tonnes.

S3/S4 are megameh.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'd sell the 4, buy a 5 outright and get gift gaff.

What a nexus 4?

Out of those i'd get the 5.

Its much much faster than a 4. Xperia is horrible to hold.

Really? Maybe my 4 runs incredibly well as the 5 didn't feel that much better. Residuals come selling time will no doubt be better than the others phones which I should really take note at.

You're right about Xperia about the size, massive phone, just liked the way it worked when I was playing with it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
iOS is fairly swift on any device tbh. But its blazing on a 5.

Did you end up getting one Nick?

Im thinking its time to part ways with my iphone 4 and get a HTC one or Xperia z myself.

Did you end up getting one Nick?

Im thinking its time to part ways with my iphone 4 and get a HTC one or Xperia z myself.

Well...

I got a text from 3 saying thanks for upgrading to a Sony Xperia, obviously I didn't say to anyone in store that I was upgrading... So had a moan to customer services for upgrading for me and said I'd be leaving.

Having looked at reducing my monthly contract amount, they offered to change mine from £38 a month to a £9.90 with immediate effect. Leaving me to look into the phones listed a bit more.

Though last night I saw that 172Ben was selling a brand new white iPhone 5 32GB for £430 del. So as much as I wasn't sold on that phone, for a lower negotiated price I am sure ill be happy with it and ill get most of money back if any of the other phones are much better.

Xperia over the HTC One though, apart from good front speakers on the HTC, there's nothing much else that's any good.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Glad you stayed away from the 920.. Mine was diabolical and only lasted 6 days before I returned it.

Xperia over the HTC One though, apart from good front speakers on the HTC, there's nothing much else that's any good.

They seem to be pretty evenly matched in any of the reviews I can see. Have you used either?

Glad you stayed away from the 920.. Mine was diabolical and only lasted 6 days before I returned it.

What went wrong with it?

Ill have a play around a few of them in one of the stores tomorrow to see whats what anyway as ive yet to even look at a phone since the iphone 5 came out.

After 3 mobile sent me a Sony Xperia Z saying I 'called them up for an upgrade', I told them to get stuffed on the upgrade and went for a £9.90 a month sim only deal. Then 172Ben had a brand new white iPhone 5 32gb for sale, so negotiated a price, got it unlocked and changed to a nano sim and here I am now. Saving myself over £250 than if I had gone with the upgrade. :)

The 5 having played about with it for a couple of days now definitely feels quicker than the previous 4 I had. Though the 5 I used was in the 3 store and my 4 has started to slow a lot in recent weeks. Actually prefer the extra height of the phone as well as it being a bit lighter, so all in all I'm happy with my decision!

Nick