ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography help?

Hi all,

I know there a quite a few ppl on here that are quite handy with a cam and know what to use and what not to use so thought I would ask a few questions!

I have been into photography for a few years now, but not actually doing anything about it. I suppose I can apriciate the effort that goes into taking a good shot with the right tools. Anyway I want to buy a good cam whether it be a DSLR or just a really good digi-cam. At the moment I have a Samsung 8.1 mp point and shoot thing.

Now I have put a question on here a few days ago and had loads of feedback and help on the topic, but I was asking to recomend me a good digi-cam and most ppl said the Panasonic DMC-TZ5, anyone had one or can comment on this camera?

Before I bought the VXR I owned my clio 172 cup for around 4 years and was a member on cliosport.net and alot of owners had the Nikon D40, which imo takes absolute stunning pictures. I know that it does take time with the practise that you put into it. I am not thinking of making this a career of any kind, just a hobby and was wondering would it be worth it stretching to a Nikon D40?

Thanks in advance for any help or direction you lot could send me in.
Mark

Depends what you want to do mate really.

If you want to go "Oh, thats a pretty car/bird/sunset *click* " and then carry on going, then get the Panasonic.

If you want spend more time thinking about the setting up of your shots and ultimately get better results, then go for a DSLR. It will cost you more because you'll want extra lenses etc, but its worth it IMO.

Pop into Jessops or something. Try the D40 and whatever the Canon equivalent is and go from there.

I got the D40x (same as the D40 really) for my birthday about a year ago, and its awesome! I had a look at the Canon, but i liked the feel of the Nikon better.

I'm by no means any good at taking photos, but some of them that the camera have produced have looked great.

Can be picked up for good money now aswell..

I don't know too much about the Panasonic, but I'd imagine the Nikon is alot more adjustable, plenty more to play about with etc. Also better base for upgrading in the future etc

1.8 Civic EX
I'd go for the DSLR tbh...as Revels says but don't forget to get yourself going you can just leave the DSLR in auto and let it do all the work just the same as a compact would, but in the long run you potentially save money as you already have a DSLR for when you want to start learing and getting involved a bit more..

Depends what you want to do mate really.

If you want to go "Oh, thats a pretty car/bird/sunset *click* " and then carry on going, then get the Panasonic.

If you want spend more time thinking about the setting up of your shots and ultimately get better results, then go for a DSLR. It will cost you more because you'll want extra lenses etc, but its worth it IMO.

Pop into Jessops or something. Try the D40 and whatever the Canon equivalent is and go from there.
Cheers mate I think the Canon equivalent is the 1000D iirc

I got the D40x (same as the D40 really) for my birthday about a year ago, and its awesome! I had a look at the Canon, but i liked the feel of the Nikon better.

I'm by no means any good at taking photos, but some of them that the camera have produced have looked great.

Can be picked up for good money now aswell..
Yeah last time I looked it was £200 delivered if that's a good price. Iirc it was on Amazon.

With a SLR you have the luxury of being able to buy additional lenses for different purposes.
With the TZ5, youre stuck with one 'lens'.

Much more flexible with the D40, but its a bigger camera :)

Cheers mate I think the Canon equivalent is the 1000D iirc

Yeah last time I looked it was £200 delivered if that's a good price. Iirc it was on Amazon.
My bad the cheapest I have been able to find now is £246 with the 18-55mm

With a SLR you have the luxury of being able to buy additional lenses for different purposes.
With the TZ5, youre stuck with one 'lens'.

Much more flexible with the D40, but its a bigger camera :)
Yeah I had taken that into account, mate!

iirc the TZ5 has full manual capability and so is as flexible as a dSLR except for the changeable lens.

IMO if you dont want to commit to a dSLR then the TZ5 will be brilliant. Other option is look for something that was top of the range but a few years old now. I am not familiar with Nikon and Canon line ups but I know that My Olympus E1 which was around £1000 worth of camera can be had for a couple hundred quid now on ebay and is going to be a far better camera than an entry level camera.

I'd go for the DSLR tbh...as Revels says but don't forget to get yourself going you can just leave the DSLR in auto and let it do all the work just the same as a compact would, but in the long run you potentially save money as you already have a DSLR for when you want to start learing and getting involved a bit more..

DSLR in auto?!!

Door is over there -------->>

;)

Porsche Boxster987S
Apperture Priority, job done tbh

im trying to learn about photography atm and have been messing about with the camera. I keep reading that word on here a lot (Apperture) What exactly is it and what is it used to get in a picture?

Sorry mate. The Panasonic you are looking at is just a point and shoot and has no manual exposure controls. Ideally if you are looking to get into photography more but not buy a DSLR then you want a camera with manual controls

Sorry mate. The Panasonic you are looking at is just a point and shoot and has no manual exposure controls. Ideally if you are looking to get into photography more but not buy a DSLR then you want a camera with manual controls
Yeah you're right, do you know of any?

182 FF Inferno
Similar situation to the OP. Was set on a bridge camera but got advice on other forums to go for an SLR as the Bridge camera will be quite restrictive when used to it. This sound like good advice.??

Been looking on ebay at Nikon D40's (recomended as a good entry level SLR)

Similar situation to the OP. Was set on a bridge camera but got advice on other forums to go for an SLR as the Bridge camera will be quite restrictive when used to it. This sound like good advice.??

Been looking on ebay at Nikon D40's (recomended as a good entry level SLR)
Yeah Matt exactly the same situation as me mate, i kinda got my heart set on a D40 now too!

182 FF Inferno
Just to add another camera into the frame- Sony A200. Got good reviews on most Photography forums and looks great vfm. Top of my list now, just got to find somewhere t play with it and make sure it feels ok.