ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Potential track car.

Bmw
Hi all, I’m in the market for a track car and always had a bit of a soft spot for clio’s, I’ve been l looking into 172’s and weighing up options to buy one already done (I.e. more for my money) or to build one myself. A decent mileage 172 with full history and full stainless has come up with no mot for cheap. All in all I’d like to be around the £2500 mark tops for the lot. If I purchased a car that was ultimately standard and there was a circa 2k budget for mods, what direction would people be heading with that amount or would I still be better off buying one already done/part done. There is a Nurburgring trip booked for April next year that I’d like to be ready for. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  Clio 172 (CUP)
Depends if you like the building aspect of it, I did so I started from scratch. It's likely more cost effective to purchase a tidy one with some of the big ticket mods already done, e.g. suspension, LSD, roll cage. Some people don't have the time or desire to break them when selling so take a hit on the overall value.

Bmw
I am quite happy to do it myself just wasn’t too sure if I’d be selling myself short with a 2k mod budget over what I could purchase for a similar price

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
You can do it on even the most modest budget, but the problem is you’ll get ‘the bug’ and then your modest budget will become a big one that ends up in arguments with your dearly beloved...

So be prepared!

Clio 172 (CUP)
Sounds like a partly modified and tidy example with sensible mods is best, and just get it on track and enjoy it. It's true, the modding money pit does suck you in !