ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question about claiming for accident

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Ok so my son had a minor bump in his Clio in the snow, slid into a parked car, bumper hit the other cars bumper, no damage to his and owner of other car had no visible damage to hers but apparently bumper now needs replaced etc etc she had quote for 1000!!!!! So my son isn't claiming as his car is ok and he told her to claim on insurance. So does he need to inform his company as he isn't claiming, isn't it down to her insurance to contavpct his company she has his details and policy number etc but has told himhe needs to inform his company of the accident, is this right. Also will he have to lay his excess? He is tpf&t

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
She's either trying to pull a fast one, or is a massive idiot and has gone to a body shop, mentioned the 'I' word and they've pulled their own pants down whilst reaching for the bubbly...

Suggest to her you get a second (or third!!) quote, or failing that her insurance will claim off yours (sons).

As he's only TP, he won't get his car repaired, but sounds like he got away with it this time... and yes, I'd imagine there's no reason he would not pay the excess if someone claims against him.

Good luck :dapprove:

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Thanks. But does he have to inform his insurance about it or leave it to her insurance cause her insurance have told her that my sons insurance have no record of an accident, but that's because he has no intention of claiming so didn't bother phoning them. And yeah she's a young bird who obviously is getting shafted by garages hoping to be quids in.

E46 325ci, ZX10r E9f
He's got to phone his insurance to report the accident even though he's not going to claim for his car.

Only if your going to pay for the damage to her car would you not phone your insurance.

AFAIK

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Ok cheers I'll get him to call in the morning

Hello

Under the terms and conditions of his policy he has to report a claim. This is so they can capture the third party claim and reduce costs by trying to get them into one of their approved garage, prevent credit hire and an inflated claim. If you raise concerns about the damage being caused they may investigate by having your car assessed too.

You will only be liable to pay your excess if you are claiming for your vehicle and thus in this instance have nothing to pay. If they do not claim I would make sure it is closed as a notification only.

Graham

Ford Mustang 5.0
Definately report it to your insurer immediately. If he is TPF+T and not claiming for his damage then he wont have to pay an excess

If he gives his insurer the circumstances quickly and explains the damage etc it will allow your insurer to best chance to defend against the TP's claim amounts. If you dont report it it will make your insurers job a lot harder, plus they wont have any way to contradict the Third Party's claim amounts.

You will probably find its a stiplation in the policy terms that you must report any incident within 24hrs. (this would apply even if you are not claiming)