ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattle/clattering noise when accelerating?

Clio dCi Authentique 2004
Hi everyone
I'm new to the forum, but was wondering if anyone could help me try and solve the noise problem I'm hearing from my Clio.

I'm driving a Clio dCi 1.5 Authentique (54, 2004) 22000 miles. When accelerating and releasing the accelerator I can hear a rattling type noise. More noticeable when I change gear, I guess because I'm moving up and down the accelerator.

I've tried changing gear without gas and I can't hear any noise, only when I apply pressure to the accelerator pedal.

If you need some more detail, I'd be happy to provide it.

Many thanks.

CB600FS
They're like that to be fair, it almost sounds like clutch release bearings about to go. Most of the time its play in the EGR valve rod when it opens/closes causes it, cleaning it will get rid of the sound for a while.

Thanks TomTom. May I ask how I go about cleaning it? Is it something I could do with a Haynes manual, or is it a cheapish job for my local garage to do?

CB600FS
Yeah dead easy mate its a filthy job though bes to get some disposable gloves, an old toothbrush, loads of rag. A bit pair of water pump pliers helps.

Take the engine cover off, unclip the cold air feed off the front of the airbox, remove the wiring around the airbox including the pressure sensor on the right hand side, undo the jubilee clip at the back, remove the air pipe, lift up the front, then slide leftwards the airbox, take it off.

Now you'll see the EGR valve and housing at the back, theres 2 x 10mm nuts holding it on, and 1 x 10mm bolt. Use a magnet if you want just don't drop them, unclip the EGR valve if you haven't already. Now its loose, it'll either slide out first time (nice and clean) or jam. Spray some penetrating oil where it joins the housing, and with a mixture of prying with a screwdriver in the gap, wiggling the actual housing with a big pair of grips, after 10 minutes (ish) it'll come out.

Most people fill a cup with cleaner and leave the half thats dirty soaking (not the electrical connector end) Whilst they clean the housing, scrubbing all the crap out, hard bits will need scratching with a screwdriver, wire brush whatever.

When its all re-built, initially it'll smoke like a trooper don't panic, when its warm just take it for a hard thrash.

Much appreciated, I'll do that at the weekend.

I must confess I was starting to get a little worried about the grrr clattering noise as its only evident when applying gas to begin with and then letting off, not when cruising. If I'm driving along and I let of the gas up and down the noise is quite evident. I'd originally thought the exhaust might be loose of the gearbox or something like that, as the gear stick does move when applying/releasing gas pedal.

I'm usually really happy to do oil changes and the little things, but this is new to me.

Fingers crossed its not going to be too bad.

Oh, one last question, what do you suggest I clean the EGR valve with, just cleaning fluid, or some special cleaner?

Megane 1.5dci
Sounds very similar to mine. When I lift off the aeccelerator there is a point when it produces a metallic rattle - with practice you can make the noise come and go by featheing the accellerator. It is a worrying sound I must admit.

Mine is the dci 100 and is also quite noisy under load as well, having driven a few recently it seems most are like that, noisy in places.

So I have been told all the dci's are noisy, the more bhp the more noisy they are.

Mine has also developed a jerk when gently driving, due in again at the dealer..... :(

Easy answer to this is to drive the car like its stolen use good fuel and chnage the oil then the EGR doens't become trouble.

Just thought I'd give you an update.
I cleaned the EGR valve - was clean, so no worries there. but still getting the noise when changing gear. Do you think I should take it to a gearbox place to get looked at?
or perhaps get the oil change done first.
Someone on another forum said that they had a similar noise and then they lost power/drive and got towed to a garage who said 'mainshaft had broken taking the clutch with it' which cost a lot to replace.

Just thought I'd give you an update.
I cleaned the EGR valve - was clean, so no worries there. but still getting the noise when changing gear. Do you think I should take it to a gearbox place to get looked at?
or perhaps get the oil change done first.
Someone on another forum said that they had a similar noise and then they lost power/drive and got towed to a garage who said 'mainshaft had broken taking the clutch with it' which cost a lot to replace.

Sounds like a driveshaft but should show up when turning for you sounds more like the gearbox selector mechanism could do with checking and adjusting.

Megane 1.5dci
Had some info from the dealer - he says the ticking you can occasionally hear coming from the engine is down the the high pressure lines which is more noticable on the DCI 80 and 100.

I have driven a few dci's and in honesty some do it and some don't, the 80/100 tend to make more noise than the 65 it seems.

My jerking turned out to be the dogbone mount - replaced it - much improved.