ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rattle, rattle

phase 1 172
Hello!

I have a phase 1 172 which I recently took on it's first track day. Unfortunately it now seems to have developed a rather anoying vibrating/rattling noise coming from the front. Could this be warn bushes?
The car has done 56,000 miles has original dampers with Eibach pro springs fitted.

any help/advice for the 'new boy' would be very much appreciated.

Ta very much.

PH1 172
If it's like a tin rattling sound then check your heat shield behind the back of the engine as sometimes that can work loose.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If it's like a tin rattling sound then check your heat shield behind the back of the engine as sometimes that can work loose.

I'm so glad you posted this, I have a tin rattling noise between around 4.5 and 6k revs, I thought it'd be a heat shield somewhere but had no idea which one. Is there one above the cat section of the exhaust too?

Iceberg Ph1
Maybe suffering from the usual worn mounts? Engine movement vibration knocking against the subframe? I'd assume the heat shield ran the entire length.. Need to stick your head under the car and get someone to rev it and see if you can notice anything

Mk5 golf gti
I'm so glad you posted this, I have a tin rattling noise between around 4.5 and 6k revs, I thought it'd be a heat shield somewhere but had no idea which one. Is there one above the cat section of the exhaust too?

also the heat shield by the backbox has a tendency to come loose i have found
also may sound stupid but check the plastic in the bootlid there held on not very well and are flimsy an need pushing back in to the clips.this gave me a buzzin at 4k revs
hope that helps

phase 1 172
Cheers for the advice. There seems to be clearance around the exhaust, so that can't be rattling on anything. The heat shields seem ok too. I read something about 'the 4k rattle' in a copy of evo once so not ruling it out. I is thinking it may be suspension related as the road I live in is pretty ropey and the rattle tends to... er rattle on uneven surfaces.

I have been wanting to do a suspension overhaul for a while now - new bushes anti-roll bars, top mounts, coilovers etc. This might be my excuse!

Thanks again.