ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recomend me a Canon lens.

R26 + EV0 FQ340
Hi guys. I'm looking to get my first proper lens on my 350D after a few years of using the kit lens and a canon 70-300 USM. Whilst they do the job the quality isn't the best. I was originally looking at the canon 70-200 L. Decent quality and long enough to use on track days etc. However, I think even 70mm would be too long for closer work, Car shows etc so was looking at the canon 28-135 IS. Should be ok for the closer stuff but abit lacking on track.

So Is there anything that can do it all? I can't afford £600 or so on lenses in one hit. I could always buy one then another a few months down the line. Is there anything else I should be considering to these 2 lenses for a similar price or even one that can do it all?

Cheers.

Cupra
My favorite lens on a crop camera was the Sigma 30mm f1.4. It is entirely dependent on what you want to shoot most of the time though.
The Canon 70-200 f4 is great bang for buck.

Oil Burner
Personally i have never found the medium zoom lenses much use for automotive photography (although i do largely motorsports)

I would instead look at having a wide angle. At the long end of wide angles you don't get much distortion so you can just move closer to the subject. And i bet you find a use for the wide end.

The Sigma 10-20 is popular. The Canon 10-22 is pricey but to this day one of the best lenses i've ever used.

As Andy says, the 70-200 F4L is a great bit of kit for not much money in the grand scheme of things.
The 70-200 can be a really great lens for close up shots of details such as badges, dials, carbon bits or Girls arses.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
28 isn't wide and on a crop, it's ~45mm !

10-20 is your best bet if you want wide. I LOVE mine !

Buy one or the other, sell your 70-300 and buy the other if you want to. :approve:

R26 + EV0 FQ340
Buy one or the other, sell your 70-300 and buy the other if you want to. :approve:

That was the plan but I won't get much for mine (it's actually the 75-300, my mistake).

Thanks guys. I'm currently using the kit lens for any close work. Think that's a 18-55 or something like that. Is there any other decent mid price range lens' I should also consider insted of the 28-135 IS. Some say for the price It's awesome others arn't too keen. The higher end of the zoom range is what I want but would like something abit wider. As you say EG, On a crop it'll be around 45mm. I don't need anything uber wide but on the other hand I think I'll be very limited if I plumped for something like the 10-20. I'm probably best seeing what the zoom is like on my current lens at 28mm.

CLIO Iceberg 172
Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 will set you back about £350 amazing sharp lens for the money and the fact its a zoom lens plus the added bonus of it being 2.8

R26 + EV0 FQ340
Just had a quick look at that Tamrom Tog and it looks good. All reviews seem to rate it highly. I'll keep an eye on a few S/H on the bay. Are the lenses from Hong kong genuine? There only £220 inc shipping compared to Jessops £300.

R26 + EV0 FQ340
Cheers bud. That ones abit too expensive for my wallet.

The Tamron looks favourable so far. All reviews say it's uber sharp. Chepest I've found new in the UK is £240 - £220 in HK. Do these have a 6 year warrenty standard. I doubt I'll be getting that if I buy from HK so worth it for the extra £20 If that is the case.

CLIO Iceberg 172
I have a friend or two in my local jessops so i managed staff discount. got 50 nocked off. i would stay away from anywhere you cant trace back if anything goes wrong. one of the main reasons i got mine from jessops. they have a huge warrenty on the tamrons. and i can vouch for how sharp it is. i put it head to head with the canon 24-70L and the 24-105L both were sharper but not 3x the cost sharper!! this lens is sooooo sharp! i would say that its sharper than the 50mm 1.8! and its sooo nice for video too it really is such a great lens for the money. they say that its almost comparable to the 18-55is 2.8 canon. again it dose beat it slightly but again no were near 3x+ the cost!!

+ this has VC so its an added bonus for video as this VC really works.
if image quality is what your after and not VC(IS) then the non VC version is slightly cheaper and also is ment to be even more slightly better picture quality (but not much! the VC really is good)

70-200mm f4L is superb for track work - you can pick them up for £400 on ebay

The 28-135mm is a VERY old lens - I had one for about 3 weeks and it was shite :(

If I were you I'd grab a second hand 70-200 f4L and a 18-55mm IS kit lens
That'll keep you going

The 18-55 is actually quite a nice lens and they're only about £70 new on eBay as they come for free with loads of cameras

After a while if you want something sharper than the 18-55 have a look at the 17-40mm f4L - lovely lens.

R26 + EV0 FQ340
The 28-135mm is a VERY old lens - I had one for about 3 weeks and it was s**te :(

That's one of the reasons that prompted me to post. Think I'll give that lens a miss. I'm looking to spend abit more than what I could get the 18-55 IS for. The Tamron 17-50 is looking favourable so far. They seem to be fetching about £200+ on ebay so I may aswell plump an extra few quid in and buy new. Wonder if Jessops will price match the £240? I'm looking at the normal version Tog. As you say, it is renowned to be slightly better allthough I doubt there's much in it.

The 17-40 L is abit over my price range for now but something to keep a look out for If any pop up cheap. I'm settled on the 70-200 L. I need to get the wider lens first before selling my old 75-300 to release some funds.

Anywhere cheaper than £240 for the Tamron?

Anywhere cheaper than £240 for the Tamron?

Check out http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat14.html

That's for Canon - Nikon seems to have less options on that site?

Try Amazon though, seemingly have a great warranty service if it turns up fooked. I picked one up for canon for just over £260 :)

Oh, and get the non-VC version - much better IQ than the VC version, I've read.

EDIT: Found the Nikon version, £309. Bugger. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000HD19X2/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Last edited: