ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Refitting Rear quarter glass

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Need to fit 2 rear quarter glass to my white shell.

I have 2 windows from a cup , i cant make out if the windows have a seal or it is just the original bond đŸ¤”

Whats best to use to bond them ? Tiger seal ?

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
You need to seal them with windscreen bond.
Will certainly either fall out or leak with tiger deal.
Call your local windscreen indie, cant see it costing anymore than £50 to bond two back in.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
You need to seal them with windscreen bond.
Will certainly either fall out or leak with tiger deal.
Call your local windscreen indie, cant see it costing anymore than £50 to bond two back in.
Ive just been looking at the glass i have and there is no form of seals on them , the originals on my silver shell apear to have some form of factory seal.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
There is a seal and bonding.

It comes with the glass new so your going to have to get creative.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
There is a seal and bonding.

It comes with the glass new so your going to have to get creative.
Bad times , my shell didnt come with windows as it had plastic windows which got sold.

I reckon i need to either get them fitted professionally or fit plastic rear windows đŸ¤”

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
@finch wxm
They don't have seals mate, they are glued (bonded) in. The little rubber strip you can see around the edge of the glass is just a facial thing to make it look pretty.
Like I say they have to be bonded back in, if they are already out I cant see an indie charging more the £50 to come stick them in.
You can have a go for yourself to stick them in with other sealants but from experience it never works. I've pulled out a fair few windows bodged in with tiger seal, mastic, bathroom sealant and even glazing tape đŸ¤£

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
@finch wxm
They don't have seals mate, they are glued (bonded) in. The little rubber strip you can see around the edge of the glass is just a facial thing to make it look pretty.
Like I say they have to be bonded back in, if they are already out I cant see an indie charging more the £50 to come stick them in.
You can have a go for yourself to stick them in with other sealants but from experience it never works. I've pulled out a fair few windows bodged in with tiger seal, mastic, bathroom sealant and even glazing tape đŸ¤£
I cant make out on the windows i have second hand has bond on them or do the windows have something on them and then bond , i couldnt make it out if it just bond which has gone hard , should the glass have nothing on the rear and just the glass ? I will take a pic when im next at the garage

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Bad times , my shell didnt come with windows as it had plastic windows which got sold.

I reckon i need to either get them fitted professionally or fit plastic rear windows đŸ¤”

I haven't got any good pictures unfortunately but there's about a 1cm thick rubber seal on the glass which is then bonded to the frame to set the windows the correct distance from the frame.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I haven't got any good pictures unfortunately but there's about a 1cm thick rubber seal on the glass which is then bonded to the frame to set the windows the correct distance from the frame.
I think thats what it is then buddy , its didnt look like bond but went all the way around

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I think thats what it is then buddy , its didnt look like bond but went all the way around

Yeah sounds right.

I mean they will just bond back in but the windows will sit deeper into the opening so it depends if that bothers you.

Going to have to do a similar thing with mine, I’ve not decided if it’s worth forking out for new glass fitted yet.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Yeah im not sure how much new glass fitted would be , cant even claim on insurance and say i need to new windows fitting đŸ˜‚

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
@finch wxm @Archtronics
The seal around the edge your both talking about is called encapsulation, its just a facial thing and makes it look pretty, it does nothing.
The glass isn't bonded to the encapsulation (seal around the edge). Its bonded further in on the black opaque band that's around the glass. The glass will be able to be re-stuck in and seated in exactly the same place as when it came out of the factory, there is nothing to locate the glass, its all done by eye. Press the glass onto the bond in roughly the right place then check by eye that all the gaps are equal all around then tape it in place to set.
If your windows are second hand there will probably be old bond left over, it has the same texture as an eraser.
I would imagine oem glass would be about £100-£150 a side plus fitting. Priced up a front oem glass for a lad on here and just the glass was £250 + vat.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
@finch wxm @Archtronics
The seal around the edge your both talking about is called encapsulation, its just a facial thing and makes it look pretty, it does nothing.
The glass isn't bonded to the encapsulation (seal around the edge). Its bonded further in on the black opaque band that's around the glass. The glass will be able to be re-stuck in and seated in exactly the same place as when it came out of the factory, there is nothing to locate the glass, its all done by eye. Press the glass onto the bond in roughly the right place then check by eye that all the gaps are equal all around then tape it in place to set.
If your windows are second hand there will probably be old bond left over, it has the same texture as an eraser.
I would imagine oem glass would be about £100-£150 a side plus fitting. Priced up a front oem glass for a lad on here and just the glass was £250 + vat.

It’s clearly two parts on the Clio window dude one part is a a bead exactly the same thickness & shape all the way round.
Only way you could achieve that is if it’s preapplied to the window by machine and allowed to set before the windows are bonded in.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
It’s clearly two parts on the Clio window dude one part is a a bead exactly the same thickness & shape all the way round.
Only way you could achieve that is if it’s preapplied to the window by machine and allowed to set before the windows are bonded in.
The second thing you said is spot on, that's how its done.
Then you would put a bead of bond around it and glue them in.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Have a look in @Tomotek thread to see how he did his racecar rear quarter poly windows.

Should be able to do similar with glass.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Have a look in @Tomotek thread to see how he did his racecar rear quarter poly windows.

Should be able to do similar with glass.
I did see this , might be worth a try first , if its no good and leaks i will have to get the professionals in ! The car is probably going to be used more on the road so not to bothered about going poly windows , i dont know if they are any easier to fit