ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remap or hand held tuning device?

Clio 172 Cup
Hi there, I'm fairly new to the Clio world as I've owned Fords most of my life.

But what I was after is a bit of a advice what is best for my Clio Cup (172) it's got a K-tech stealth exhaust on it and a K&N cone filer on it.

I was looking at a Remap or 1 of those hand held tuning boxes (RS tuner)

What is best for my car? Or other ideas.

Thank you in advance

Dan

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup
So about £195 that ant bad really.

A friend of mine just got a stage 1 remap from K-tech and he said it feld slower if anything as they told him there a cheap superchips map already on it so they removed that and put there's on it.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
So about £195 that ant bad really.

A friend of mine just got a stage 1 remap from K-tech and he said it feld slower if anything as they told him there a cheap superchips map already on it so they removed that and put there's on it.

K-tec aren't the best at mapping TBH.

Don't forget you could sell on the RS tuner if you wish, after mapping your car. They go for around £100/115 on here.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
RS tuner all the way. i did my 182 at the weekend and i am very happy with it. best £200 you can spend imo

Clio 172 Cup
Better off buying a new 1 then mate. I think.

I'm also going to invest in some RS inlets i think aswell as they seem to be highly rated.

clio 182 cup
this is the way im gona go i think (rs tuner) i have a milltek inc decat simota filter ,what is the usual increase in bhp as i know these cars dont go up much with out spending alot of coin cheers

53 Clio's & counting
Better off buying a new 1 then mate. I think.

I'm also going to invest in some RS inlets i think aswell as they seem to be highly rated.

Being a cup you might already have 'RS' inlets - a batch (with RS printed on the lower inlet section) were made which were much better matched than the rest - if you have RS inlets you will still gain from getting them matched - but maybe a few bhp at best - i personally wouldn't bother if you have the RS ones.

53 Clio's & counting
2 options - remove them and take/post them to a company to have done (Try the traders section on here, plenty of companies do it) OR you send yours off, and get some already matched sent back to you - this is better if you can't have the car off the road for very long.

Bear in mind there is normally a surcharge to pay until your inlets reach whoever you have used.

But like I said mate check if you have the RS inlets as it will be a bit of a waste of money otherwise

53 Clio's & counting
All depends on how far you want to go mate, if you want it to go better than first off, junk that open filter - get an enclosed filter - a Ph1 172 airbox is very good and well priced, I think a good start spec is:

Ph1 172 airbox (standard filter - flows well enough)
Matched inlets (if you don't have the RS inlets)
Cat back exhaust (Something decent)

That combined with a decent remap should net you around 180bhp and 160lb ft of torque and smooth out the power delivery, making the car a much nicer drive.

For mapping id recommend either RS Tuning at Leeds, or Tour-De-Force, both on here in the traders section and both are well renound for being 2 of the best mappers around - plus do a search on here, and you won't find a bad report from either, unlike some other companies........

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I run an ITG panel filter but after a chat with BTM performance, Fred told me that a paper filter does just as good a job.

LY R26 230 F1 Team
All depends on how far you want to go mate, if you want it to go better than first off, junk that open filter - get an enclosed filter - a Ph1 172 airbox is very good and well priced, I think a good start spec is:

Ph1 172 airbox (standard filter - flows well enough)
Matched inlets (if you don't have the RS inlets)
Cat back exhaust (Something decent)

That combined with a decent remap should net you around 180bhp and 160lb ft of torque and smooth out the power delivery, making the car a much nicer drive.

For mapping id recommend either RS Tuning at Leeds, or Tour-De-Force, both on here in the traders section and both are well renound for being 2 of the best mappers around - plus do a search on here, and you won't find a bad report from either, unlike some other companies........

spot on.

I run:
-Yozza Race
-ITG panel filter
-Non RS stamped inlet manifold (needs to be matched)
-RS tuner with launch controll

Dyno'd at TDF@180BHP on the nose!

Edit: If you dont make good power (172+) then don't be dissapointed, as long as it drives well it's no bother.

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Usefull sometimes, annoying at other times. TBH with you mate it's mostly to impress chav's with lol.

Update your thread on PT please ;) everyone's wondering where you've gone!

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Usefull sometimes, annoying at other times. TBH with you mate it's mostly to impress chav's with lol.

Update your thread on PT please ;) everyone's wondering where you've gone!

ha, your a funny guy.

considering purchasing the launch control map for 1/4 mile, then i can switch between the 98 RON map and the launch control 98 RON map when necessary.

was wondering if it worth it?

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Might be worth it for a few 10ths depends weather it's help or hinderance as it's all personal preferance, you might find it a godsend or annoying as hell! I know most I speak to thing the latter!

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Not of you are a good enough driver you don't, however it could of been a worth while perk hence my curiosity.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Can you still get rs tuners new. It says on the fast chip website no enquiries about product availability.

That would say no to me!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Just every time ive looked on the website it's said the same thing but I was told on here you can still get them.