ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio mk2 1.4 1999 slight misfire maybe

Ok, so your probably wondering why on Earth am I adding a thread for a simple misfire right, well it's not a simple misfire. I'll start for the the beginning. So I was sat at traffic lights on Friday evening and the car developed a misfire on idle, and only idle. Naturally you think it's plugs or leads, so I changed all. Still had a misfire but noticed my water level had dropped considerable to the point of being dry, again, thought I had a leak. No signs of one tho. Anyway took it to the garage and yep, you guessed right, blown head gasket. Anyway, I paid to get it fixed etc and now have the car back. The guy at the garage told me I need a new set of plugs due to one of my cylinders wasn't firing before hand, so instead I put my old ones back in thinking it can't be a coincidence really. Anyway, by the time I got it home I was really low on petrol, probably a gallon before I ran out. During driving it home before the plugs where changed again, she was jerking pretty much in every gear. Changed plugs as I said, filled her up etc and put in some redex etc and it's still there. I thought maybe dirt needed clearing so I have ran her for a few days, nowhere far but enough to kick out what I was hoping was dirt.

But this morning, she felt as rough as before. On idle she is lovely and smooth, no nasty noises from the engine, no water gone, all old plugs looked perfect and nice. No idea. She jerks when the engine is under pressure, so say if I'm in a low speed in the wrong gear, driving alone in 5 around 35 up she is lovely. Any ideas???

Is it worth buying new plugs and leads again?

Could I have crap in the fuel filter after dropping so low?

What about injectors?

I also had a small bump during our snowy days a few weeks snack which I had to buy a new Tyre and wheel, could it be wheel alignment?

Anyone????

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Also thought I should mention, when idle and out of gear, if i rev the engine she kinda bumps back and forth, hard to explain, like she back fires but without the pop or bang [emoji4]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

RENAULT Clio
Literally just had the same problem with my Clío mk2 1.2 16v. Plugged it to a cheap diagnostic and it came back with ‘random/multiple cylinder misfire’.

Mine was missing badly while accelerating but wasn’t as bad at steady speed..

Bought a coil pack from amazon for £10 and it’s sorted the problem, running perfectly. The price seems to have gone up, guess I was lucky but here it is...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009PLTKOM/?tag=cliospnet01-21

To take it off it’s 3 torx bolts and that’s it, easiest job I’ve ever done. Be careful though, there are different model engines. Some have 3 bolts on the coil pack and some have 4. Make sure you get the right one.

If it hadn’t worked, my next idea was fuel filter but you should plug it into a diagnostic, just a £30 one from amazon. Just to find out if it’s one cylinder or all of them. If it’s all of them, fuel filter/air filter. If it’s one of them, injector...

Hope this helps and you get it sorted ??