ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio Project

None
Hey all,

Me and my brother were considering purchasing a Renault Clio 1.2 MK2 as a first car and as somewhat of a first project. We both have our driving tests on the 31st. Lurking around here, I've seen many good, well-modded versions of Clios, and I really want to do mine up something like a few of these. We know what we want, but are having a hard time finding it. One of the biggest hurdles we are yet to cross is the actual purchase of the vehicle itself. We both know what we want. Either black or the blue for the colour. You know, the nice blue on majority of Clios? These aren't so much of a problem to find, and the price range is within our budget for the vehicle itself (sub £1000) for majority of them. However, we both agree that we would prefer to have a regular Clio roof over one with a sunroof. In our opinion it just looks so much nicer, and we've both heard stories of the sunroof leaking or squeaking/vibrating sometimes at high speeds such as on the motorway. We thought we'd post here to get some advice on where we may be able to find one such as this, because multiple ones we have found are either too expensive, too far away, or just have a sunroof. The plain roofed ones seem so rare!

Once we get the car, we were planning on doing some low-end modifications; nothing too major. Here is some of the things we had in mind:
  • Black wrap the front and rear badges
  • Bigger exhaust exit - bigger = better??
  • New wheels - nothing too flash, but just different from the bog-standard
  • Lowering it - Still debating how much
  • New seats - A little bit undecided on this still
Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. One thing we just really want to know is how would we be able to find sunroofless 1.2s more easily.

Many thanks!

2014 Clio 200t edc
Hi and welcome! My 1.2 16v went on and on and on with minimal servicing, they stand up to abuse well.
An easy upgrade for the interior is a 172/182 leather and Alva Tara interior, can be picked up reasonably cheaply now a days.
Lowering and alloys is a personal choice really, but don't go crazy.
Exhaust won't really make a massive difference to a 1.2, although I had a custom stealth on my 1.2 16v and it made it sound nicer and go a little tiny bit better....

None
Hi and welcome! My 1.2 16v went on and on and on with minimal servicing, they stand up to abuse well.
An easy upgrade for the interior is a 172/182 leather and Alva Tara interior, can be picked up reasonably cheaply now a days.
Lowering and alloys is a personal choice really, but don't go crazy.
Exhaust won't really make a massive difference to a 1.2, although I had a custom stealth on my 1.2 16v and it made it sound nicer and go a little tiny bit better....
Thanks PP172! We're glad to hear how it can soldier on. Since we're on a bit of a budget, buying an expensive second hand one to make sure it doesn't break down or getting an incredibly cheap one in order to spend thousands on restoration isn't really on the table for us. We both agreed to take it slow with the mods. Personally I think the model looks nicer when it's low down, but my brother disagrees. I'll try persuading him into having it a tad lower

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Welcome. For a first car, the Mk2 is a decent shout, although the price of early Mk3's is coming down a LOT now. I'd go for that if you can.
Regarding the Mk2, you have Authentique, Expression, Dynamique and Initiale but most tend to be Dynamique with the 15" wheels and dark trim. That's probably the one to go for and you can pick them up for nothing nowadays.
As for mods, I'd stick with upgrades from other models. So 172 wheels are a straight fit, maybe with some lower springs and new OE dampers. Anything with the engine I'd just leave, instead focus on decent tyres, suspension and brake pads. They can be made to look quite smart for very little money.

None
Welcome. For a first car, the Mk2 is a decent shout, although the price of early Mk3's is coming down a LOT now. I'd go for that if you can.
Regarding the Mk2, you have Authentique, Expression, Dynamique and Initiale but most tend to be Dynamique with the 15" wheels and dark trim. That's probably the one to go for and you can pick them up for nothing nowadays.
As for mods, I'd stick with upgrades from other models. So 172 wheels are a straight fit, maybe with some lower springs and new OE dampers. Anything with the engine I'd just leave, instead focus on decent tyres, suspension and brake pads. They can be made to look quite smart for very little money.
Thanks Christopher. As I keep saying, all we really want is just the car at the moment, without a sunroof and the right colour for us. Once this is out the way, it's modding from there. Just wondering, where would you recommend finding a Dynamique, as that's what we've been eyeing up for a while.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Thanks Christopher. As I keep saying, all we really want is just the car at the moment, without a sunroof and the right colour for us. Once this is out the way, it's modding from there. Just wondering, where would you recommend finding a Dynamique, as that's what we've been eyeing up for a while.
You won't find a Dynamique without a sunroof though. If that's critical then you'd be better with an Expression and then fitting your own parts to it from higher-spec Clios.

None
You won't find a Dynamique without a sunroof though. If that's critical then you'd be better with an Expression and then fitting your own parts to it from higher-spec Clios.
Ah, okay. In terms of specs, is one better than the other? We might just end up biting the bullet if the Dynamique is better

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Ah, okay. In terms of specs, is one better than the other? We might just end up biting the bullet if the Dynamique is better
Dynamique is the 'sporty' trim level. Expression and Authentique were the lower spec models. Hence the lower ones not having a sunroof.
Personally, I'd go for a facelift Ph3 Dynamique and then spend a few quid tidying it up. Nothing major.

Oxyuris

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Will you be able to afford the insurance for a modified vehicle if your budget is so tight? Or is that not a question that's asked around here?

None
Will you be able to afford the insurance for a modified vehicle if your budget is so tight? Or is that not a question that's asked around here?
As bad as it sounds, parents will most likely pay for the regular standard insurance. Once we've got that I'm gonna work to make the money in order to pay for the mods and insurance with them on it. I've already got some put aside because I felt as if it was going to cost more to have all this stuff on it

Oxyuris

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Nothing wrong with having your folks pay for your first insurance, I know I did :)
And as long as you're declaring your modifications and are fully insured that's good too, certainly for the first two years. The new driver act has made it a real issue if you do get caught without full insurance for your car... 6points in the first two years (which is your usual punishment for insurance offences) = your license revoked and then re-applying for your license and retaking both theory and practical tests before being allowed back on the road.

None
Nothing wrong with having your folks pay for your first insurance, I know I did :smile:
And as long as you're declaring your modifications and are fully insured that's good too, certainly for the first two years. The new driver act has made it a real issue if you do get caught without full insurance for your car... 6points in the first two years (which is your usual punishment for insurance offences) = your license revoked and then re-applying for your license and retaking both theory and practical tests before being allowed back on the road.
Yeah, that's true. I don't think my parents would be happy if one of us had to re-do our tests haha

Oxyuris

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Indeed, happened to my sister-in-law (for two speeding offences, on the same day), getting insurance afterwards was an expensive business as a new driver with six points!

None
Indeed, happened to my sister-in-law (for two speeding offences, on the same day), getting insurance afterwards was an expensive business as a new driver with six points!
Man, bet there was a few arguments about that! I was considering getting us both to save up for a little bit more after our tests so we can afford a 1.4 or even, with a bit of luck, a 1.6. I know the insurance will be incredibly expensive, but we both agree it'd be nice to have a larger engine.

Clios are a great first choice, in my opinion, had mine for a year and a half now. Has taken an ass whooping every day since then. Besides when the girlfriend is in the car, as she gets a little nervous ;) But I agree with PP172... Lowering your car will absolutely transform the handling. I went 50mm and it pretty much stopped the majority of the body roll. Handles like a big go-kart... You'll have to drive one that's lowered to appreciate it, but even if you don't get alloy wheels to match, I wouldn't worry. It'll handle like a dream ;) Just throw on some reasonably sticky tyres so you don't go sideways into a tree... Or up a hill in my case... All the best of luck with your little frency though.. They're very fun little projects. I say small because they are - TINY.

1.6 Clio, 330Ci Bmw
Ebay item numbers;
Just a few, although most have over 100k on the clock. But maintenance on these are an absolute doddle.
1.2s are great cars for new drivers. They may be slow but a lot of fun.
Before doing any mods, I would definitely give the suspension a bit of a refresh.

Ebay item numbers;
Just a few, although most have over 100k on the clock. But maintenance on these are an absolute doddle.
1.2s are great cars for new drivers. They may be slow but a lot of fun.
Before doing any mods, I would definitely give the suspension a bit of a refresh.
That i can agree with... They are slow, but once you hop on the B roads, and get the speed up to "60" if you've got the handling right, you'll leave most cars behind... at least that's what i've found... They're so much fun...