ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reparing Rusted Sills

S2000
How much, roughly, would it be likely to cose in order to get the sills in the picture repaired. It's a crap phot but for the length of the sills (both sides) the sill are like the picture, the rail type things at the very bottom are rusted but the rest of the sills are fine.

PDR_0100.gif

Would this be enough to failt the car on it's MOT? I don't know if the whole sill has to be rusted to fail or what.

Thanks.

Punto/Clio GTT
really cant tell from the pics mate, get some better ones up. if theres holes in the sil it will fail an mot. if its surface rust n just an edge (non structural it'll be fine. but just get a tub of fibreglass, stuff some newspaper inside and clag it in for the mot. alternativly take it to a bodyshop and have new sil sections welded in

S2000
It's MOT isn't coming up shortly, but it's just for futur reference. As I have said the rest of the sill other than the rail type bits that stick down at the bottom are fine. The rails themselves are still there but you could probably pull them away at bit as they are very rusty at points.

How much would it cost to have new rails welded on? I presume it need to have the rail bits?

Punto/Clio GTT
rail bits you mean the very bottom of the sil, the lip where its spot welded?

them come on the sils, iirc last time i bought some replacement sils they was only like a tenner each, this was full sills. you may only need one then cut out section to wherever you need.

the sils come with the lips on

S2000
By rails I mean the black bits in the picture, I would try and get a pic to be more precise but my mum's away with the camera on holiday. Is it necessary to have these on the sill for the MOT?

How much do places charge to weld it (by it I mean just whatever is needed) in?

Punto/Clio GTT
really does vary mate, most big bodyshops wouldnt weld bits of section in, theyde say it needed an entire sil, goto a small bodyshop and they might weld in little sections, filler it all, then instead of painting just do a heavy stone guard or gravitex to keep the cost down.

probly 150/200 for both sides