ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing Driveshafts- tips/guide Clio 182 Cup chassis

clio 182 FF
Hi All,

I have done some searches but seem to get mixed opinions.

I am looking to replace both driveshafts on my Clio, could someone give rough breakdown of what needs removing to get the driveshafts out?

Some guides mention removing discs, calipers etc, is that necessary?

Also i assume i will need to drain the gearbox for the N/S shaft?

Also where is best to source the shafts from? seems that CUP shafts are harder to find..

Thanks in advance.

Dave182T

ClioSport Club Member
  RB Clio 182 turbo
Both hub nuts, ball joint to hub bolts, track rod ends, two bolts on the supporting bracket for the drivers side, will need good pull to get it off the gearbox shaft and out the supporting bracket and then the three holding in the passangers side shaft.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I recently:

Crack off hub nuts with wheels on the ground and car in gear
Jack up and drain gearbox oil
Remove wheels

O/S
Undo lower (two bolts to subframe)
Undo two support bearing 13mm head bolts
Then with the whole assembly dangling on the strut and holding the hub carier I give it a good yank toward me

N/S
Undo lower arm at sub frame
undo the three (think its three) 13mm bolts which attached seal plate contraption the box - this side will pull out easily - bag the end to keep it clean and safe

With both the shafts dangling towards the floor undo the hub nuts all the way and using a hub puller I press out the shafts (cheap tool, worth its weight).

If your 100% not keeping the shafts then you can probably use a rubber faced mallet or better a rubber faced dead blow mallet to whop the drive shafts out of the hubs.

however - you'll likely find the inner joints are just fine and its your outer CV joints that are buggered, at that point you can just buy a pair of outer CV joints and be done with the whole thing knowing that you still have the correct length shafts fitted - if your brave you can probably just fit new outer CV joints with the shafts in the car negating the need to drain gearbox oil.

Rob,

clio 182 FF
Thanks for the response, I was under the impression that you need to replace the whole unit on a Clio 182 as it is all,you can buy?

one driveshaft has torn boots and there is grease everywhere and the other has a lot of play and clunks...bought it as a project.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know where to get the inner boot or joint from - the standard line is it is not available. However the outer joints are available but the choice is limited.

SKF do expensive ones however I found that a Kangoo 1.5DCI has the same outer cv joints (correct tooth numbers, length, etc) but the wrong, thinner ABS ring (easily swapped).

I bought these and not the £120 SKF units (I wanted the SKF units but couldn't justify it as complete new J&R shafts are £70ish although have their own issues), never heard of LPR but they seem pretty well made. Tried them in the hubs but not on the shafts yet - will try that tomorrow. Came with boots, grease, clips etc. SKF CV joints for the 172 etc are cheap available, but the 182 cup seems to be a weirdo.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the response, I was under the impression that you need to replace the whole unit on a Clio 182 as it is all,you can buy?

one driveshaft has torn boots and there is grease everywhere and the other has a lot of play and clunks...bought it as a project.

Be aware that the J&R OS driveshaft uses a different inner joint to OEM, the clip catches on the block which mullers the boot. Make sure it hasn't already had a cheap driveshaft installed. The easy fix for this is to grind a little tab off the block, quick brush with an angle grinder would totally solve the problem. I though about buying a pair of J&R shafts however they were not forth coming about lengths or tooth numbers and I couldn't be bothered to have a long winded conversation with someone at a budget driveshaft shop only to receive the wrong part in the post (maybe Im being unfair) - figured I could get it wrong all by my self for less money.